Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an '88 Mustang GT with a T-5 about two weeks ago. I want to check the timing. It turns over very slow during a hot start.

I have never owned a 5.0L EFI motor, but have read about disconnecting the spout on the dizzy to check the timing. Where is the spout connector? I only see one large connector on the dizzy. I don't have a shop manual yet, what should I start with on base timing?

The previous owner said he had to run premium to keep it from pinging, which is another reason why I thought the timing might be set too high.

Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That SPOUT connection should be in the harness that goes to the distributor, within about 6 inches of the distributor. You pull the SPOUT, start the car, set the timing, shut the car off, put the SPOUT back in. That's all there is to it to set your base timing.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, 289Mustang, I'll try setting the timing tommorrow.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had the same problem on my Ranchero when I got it. It turned out to be heat soaking into my starter. May want to check and see how close the exhaust is to the starter itself. I put some shielding on mine and the problem went away

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oh yeah, stock timing is 10 BTDC. You should be able to run crappy gas on that no problem.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again. The hard starting did not start until I replaced the 180* thermostat with a stock 197* one. So it could be heat, plus, supposedly the starter is orignal, it might be time for a new one soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts