Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to buy a bellhousing kit and I am getting different part numbers from different sources.

I am running a roller block 302 and a tko500. The jegs guy gave one number the Summit guy a differnt and the Mcleod web site is pretty weak.

Anybody all ready do this or have any ideas? I was going with Mcleod because this site and friend said that they are better made and that the lakewoods are more likley to need offset dowels.

thanks...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I run a lakewood and indeed needed offset dowels. In any case you need to check the concentricity. The dowel swap is easy, just baseline yourself and determine which ones you need.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
On 2007-01-05 05:28, BMiller wrote:
I run a lakewood and indeed needed offset dowels. In any case you need to check the concentricity. The dowel swap is easy, just baseline yourself and determine which ones you need.
I bought the weld on alignment kit--you move the bell around until you achieve the proper clearance and then weld the included washers to the bell. This gives a perfect alignment each and every time after the first install, without the need to redial it in on the same block.

·
Registered
157 Posts
On 2007-01-05 10:53, dennis111 wrote:

I bought the weld on alignment kit--you move the bell around until you achieve the proper clearance and then weld the included washers to the bell. This gives a perfect alignment each and every time after the first install, without the need to redial it in on the same block.
Nice - I didn't realize this existed. Do you have part num. info? My dowels don't rotate (at least not without the use of a BFH). I haven't rechecked concentricity although have pulled the tranny & bellhousing numerous times (I sanity check it by looking at the rotation/clocking of the dowels which are slotted).

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Keep in mind that if you use the weld on dowel locator it will void the SFI certification so if this means somthing to you for racing you better use the off set dowels any welding or machining , clearancing, grinding or cutting voids the SFI rating and would need to be re certified ! Could be an issue if the track you race at is very stingent in their teching

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
On 2007-01-05 11:35, BMiller wrote:
On 2007-01-05 10:53, dennis111 wrote:

Nice - I didn't realize this existed. Do you have part num. info? My dowels don't rotate (at least not without the use of a BFH). I haven't rechecked concentricity although have pulled the tranny & bellhousing numerous times (I sanity check it by looking at the rotation/clocking of the dowels which are slotted).

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=LAK%2D15980&N=700+303565+4294908331+115&autoview=sku

65' STANG, 3160 lbs

393W NA, 2.78 Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi
Pro Comp Heads, Vic Jr. Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 1/6/07 7:02am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks hookedonford for the link to the quicktime site. I ended up finding a string on a cobra forum and they all love that bellhousing. I found a guy that sells them and I hope he can ship it next week..

Thanks to the rest of you guys for your comments. The main thing I was trying to get away from was the offset dowels. The thought of checking that every time I did a clutch makes my head spin!! I got enough to get fixed on this car.....

thanks everbody!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts