Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I encountered these while looking for 1.7 rocker upgrades to my engine. For about $275 more, I can get a Probe set ($539)...so I thought why not! Jessel and T&D also make them, but they are more expensive.

probe shaft rockers

No more guide plates, perfect geometry, easier to adjust my solid lifter lash.

Then you've got these...CATs for about $300. They also come in 1.7 ratio. So what's wrong with them?...anything? Ebay buyer beware?

CAT shaft rockers

Anyone using Probes or CATs?

·
Registered
991 Posts
irregardless that I sell probe/coasthigh, cat and pro comp I would NEVER use in the valvetrain. Those bearings let loose and it will cost you dearly. Just my2cents

Heres a direct quote from a member, mind you its pro comp, same junk

"what kind of warranty does pro comp stuff have? i bought some shaft rockers, put less than 1500 miles on em, and they are fuked. can you help a brother out?"

·
Registered
237 Posts
i agree with woody on that probe, t&d or jesel but scorpion i think has shaft rockers for sbf i have 2 sets of their roller rockers and i like them very much and when they get the shafties out ill have a set of those to make my small block that i get one of these damned infernal days like a big ol FE BIG BLOCK !!!!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cammerstang65 on 10/11/06 3:21am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Haven't used the Probes but I would recommend staying clear of the Chinese stuff. IMO The T&D & Jesel stuff is more expensive, Yes, but proven. How many Pros run CAT parts?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never mind on the CAT stuff. I should have known better. I'm hearing how they start to fail and fall apart after 1500 miles...sounds like junk to me!

New abbreviation YGWYPF (you get what you paid for).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blkfrd on 10/11/06 8:10am ]</font>

·
Registered
865 Posts
I use Jesel all the time, but I was very impressed with the Probe stuff. It looks real nice, almost just like Jesel. I have sold 4 or 5 Probe shafts with NO problems. JOE SHERMAN RACING

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think it's interesting to remember way back in the mid-50s with the 1954 Ford V8 Y-block having the then traditional shaft rockers while the 1955 SBC came out with "ball socket" stud mounted rockers. Everyone back then regarded the stud rockers as the great technical advance that gave the SBC an advantage over the Ford. This was not actually true, but we all thought it was! Anyway, when Ford came out with stud rockers in 1962 (221 cu in Fairlane V
, we Ford guys breathed a sigh of relief that we had a competitive valve train. Then surprisingly, Ford went back to shaft rockers for the 1963 225 cu in aluminum Indy V8 (based on the 221/260 Fairlane V
. What the heck! Why did they switch to those old style shaft rockers for their Indy V8? Anyway, everyone knows better now; but it's nice remember what was general opinion in the old days.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry about the smiley faces V8s....operator error.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
If you are a member of the hardcore50 site, you can get the Probe stuff for $485.99. It is supposed to be a pretty good setup nowadays.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 10/11/06 9:20am ]</font>

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts