Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little problem. I just swaped my transmission on my v8 289 65 mustang. I had a 3 speed manual tranny and i just installed a manual t5 transmission. Everything lined up great but there is a problem. (Always) The car shakes incredibly when I put it in 1st gear. I only have the problem when i take off, as soon as the car gets going it dosent do it. The thing that has me pussled is that it only does it in 1st gear.
Ihave no idea why this is. As soon as i get the car rolling it shifts beautifly. Please help. I would really appreciate the input

·
Registered
86 Posts
Did you take care to ensure the clutch plate is lined up?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Are your pressure plate and flywheel surfaces in good shape,no hot spots or cracks?Are you sure you tightened all mounts ?Is your clutch linkage working smoothly?I assume you didn't change the flywheel to a newer 5.0 to match the tranny as this would put your engine out of balance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah,,i resurfaced the fly wheel,,put in a new pressure plate,,lined up the clutch,,its a new clutch by the way,,and new pilot bearing,,i thought i had taken all the necesarry steps but something is not right HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Did you get a pilot bearing for the T5 or for the 3 speed? Is there a difference in the size of the input shaft where the bearing rides? I know the 5.0's with a T5 used a bearing while the old 3 & 4 speeds used a brass bushing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Also, if the T5 is out of a 4 banger there is a difference in pilot bearing diameter vs. a v8 t5.

·
Registered
237 Posts
yes there is a difference in pilot bearing size between a 4cyl T5 and V8 T5. not a good idea to use the 4cyl T5 on a V8 cause it needs to be modified and is weaker anyway

·
Registered
245 Posts
The difference in length is negligible. I ran a 4cly trans in my 5.0 until I broke it. It was pretty cheap to get and replace.

They bolt right up with the only difference being the pilot bearing size.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts