Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this is a little silly. I was thinking about adding a shaker to my car. But, what keeps rain from entering the engine through the shaker or any similar open scoop? I know the shaker has a flap/door inside so it isn't open all the time. But if you are cruising down the highway it just seems to me you would be sucking down rain.

Someone educate me please.
Ed

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
It still has to go into the aircleaner can and then through the filter. Most of the water will shed but some will get in I'd imagine. Water injection is good under high load!
As for rain getting in while sitting. Some may splash in the opening of the scoop but not much. The rubber hood seal acts as a gutter and collects rainwater that is drained off the motor via a down spout tube. Stu

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
On 2007-01-04 06:49, nolan62 wrote:

Ok, I know this is a little silly.
Nope...

I was thinking about adding a shaker to my car. But, what keeps rain from entering the engine through the shaker or any similar open scoop?
See the drain tube on the LF of the assembly?

Also, older FORD Special Service Tools

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KULTULZ on 1/5/07 12:31am ]</font>

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HA! I knew it was simple. This isn't going to be a daily driver and I won't take it out in the rain. But in case I get caught out in it I was just wonder how that worked. Thanks KULTULZ! I appreciate the picture.

·
Registered
738 Posts
That tube don't drain the water that enters the scoop.
It just catches the water along the seal between the hood and the scoop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
IF THE SCOOP IS ONLY FOR LOOKS, JUST DON'T CUT THE HOOD OPENING. BOLT IT IN PLACE AND YOUR LOOKING GOOD...........

·
Registered
333 Posts
Wow, this brings back memories.......I have a friend that had a '70 Boss 302 (this was about 1979 or so), anyway he pampered that car like a baby. One morning he cranked it up, only to be met with a horrible knocking noise........yep, the number 5 cylinder had filled with water (water don't compress to well)....to the boss engine's credit, it only bent the rod. We pulled the head, dropped oil pan and took out the offending rod/piston assembly. He had a few boss rods laying around so we matched the weight of the old rod, swapped over the rings and bearings, added a few new gaskets, and it was as good as new. Still going in fact. Apparently the shaker scoop had been hanging open for a while.........until that fateful day.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
The real bottom line is, most of the cars with shaker hood scoops on had to much power to drive in the rain so it didn't happen much. When it did come in, it settled in the air cleaner base before the filter and engine heat would evaporate it most of the time.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Excellent points. My car is for fun and won't be driven in the rain unless I have no choice. I know the flap is vacuum operated so it's not open at part throttle. And I'd be foolish to floor it in the rain!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts