Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the topic says, Share if you want to!

My 390" is off to the Dyno-shop on Monday 26th of June, It´s been blessed with a few upgrades such as:

Edelbrock performer RPM Heads, .555 lift hydrualic cam, Crane roller rockers, Notched cylinder walls, 0.030 overbore to clean up, Speed pro forged 10:1 pistons, new rods etc (It´s been totally rebuilt), Holley street dominator intake, Holley 750cfm vacuum carb, Mallory unilite distributor etc, And some other tricks.. Dont know what it will put out, Over 400 Hp and a nice ammount of TQ i hope.

So, What about yours?

//Andersson..

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm really interested to see what the results of your upgrades are. I've been torn between doing a rebuild, adding a few cubes by way of a 428, or ripping the old FE out and getting one of the Ford 514 Stroker motors.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Results will hopefully be posted tomorrow evening aslong as everything goes well.

Well a 514 must be quite a bit of fun, I wish they sold them over the counter over here to.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Maybe you hadn't noticed...but there is a Dyno Forum. It has dyno results from all kinds of engines, including FE's, Lima's and sbf - a lot of 302, 331, 347 and there is even a stroker froum.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Part I: Shortblock Assembly

In April we introduced Project FE, our 1969 Mach 1 project car originally equipped with a 390 cubic - in FE motor. With a cam, heads, and intake the 390 had produced timeslips in the low to mid 12's - not bad for a stock bottom end. However the engine had seen better days, so we decided this was a good opportunity to increase the displacement via a stout 428. We found ourselves a block and crank in good condition, and last month we dropped it off at the machine shop. In the meantime we decided on what we wanted to achieve out of this motor in terms of power levels, and then ordered up all the right parts needed to live up to our expectations.

Maybe you are right...I hadn't looked for or limited my search to exactly 390's only. Other than the 427 (SOHC, High/mid/low-risers..., FE's are pretty much the same and respond equally well to the same performance upgrades - power goes up or down based on engine size). However, there are articles about FE's in tech section.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/04/projectfe/index2.shtml

I'm just guessing, but I really think there are FE figures in the dyno forum. There is also a specific FE engine forum at network 54.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 6/26/06 12:13am ]</font>

·
Subscriber
188 Posts
I'm a bit curious too about dyno results from gal owners. So if you've turned those dyno drums, let's hear about it! I have flywheel numbers, but of course, not the same.

-Will

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beoweolf, My interests was and are limited to the 390" for now

If all goes well tomorrow, I´ll have the results for you by this time then.

/Andersson.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put the 428 1U crank in my 390, 410 cast pistons wich gave me 8.5:1 compr. slightly ported Edelbrock aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold, roller rockers, and I can't remember the cams specs. It made 350 hp @ 4900 & 425 lb/ft @ 3400. This was on a Superflow 902 engine dyno. My engine builder knew I was a little disappointed with the low hp, but he said the 8.5 compr. is what kept the power down. But I don't run the Gal hard and it'll probably never see anything above 4500 RPM's anywayand I can run 87 octane all day long.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Farlainer on 6/29/06 12:42am ]</font>

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, my FE dynoed (NOT fake ass computer sim) at just slightly oner 2 bucks per horsey and 2 even per torqy. Wasted money on flywheel dyno. 425/452. 410FE. Now heres the only salvation-I have a 200 shot of the gas. Too much taco bell-LOL-couldnt resist
. Seriously, I have a lil' juice squeeze when desired to help muster better numbers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do not be dissappointed when after all the money has been spent the motor does not meet your expectations. Quite a common place on anything less than 427/428FE. BTW focus on the corrected numbers as they are much more entertaining.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Evening everyone, So today was the day, 06:30 this morning i stood outside the Shop, And just before 11:00 the 390" Fired up on the first attempt!

We discovered that the Distributor bought on Ebay.com had seen much better days, It pulled the timing up and down and from here to there, But after some work by the guys at the shop, Atleast we got it to stay steady.

The engine ran great, And what a song it played..

We were able to pull it to 371.4 HP, And just over 396 ft.lb´s of torque, I´m satisfied, As this is suppose to serve my needs untill i´m able to put together a sweet little 427", My car is not a dragrace car of any kind, It´s a fun car that i drive around for my own pleasure, to gatherings and events, So those 396 ft.lb´s will be enough for now

It was an exciting thing the dyno, It was my first!

So, There was the results..

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Those are actual dyno numbers .... not Chassis dyno numbers?

Thos are decent numbers, not to hang your head over.

There are few people that come away from the Dyno 100% happy.

Did you get a read-out of where it was making power/torque? was it peaky or holding steady in the critical 2K - 5K range? headers or factory manifolds?

what timing componenets were you running; points or CD?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beoweolf, These are actual dyno numbers, On a SF-902, Hopefully there will be a pic later this week of the engine hooked up on the Dyno.

Well as said, I´m satisfied.

I have a laminated print out on the runs, the horsepower actually peaks at 5100 Rpm, And the torque raches it´s maximum at just around 4200 Rpm, I´m running Hooker Supercomp headers, they are 1.3/4". (Actually a friend of mine borrowed these when he dynoed his stock 428, And reached 365Hp at 5000 Rpm)

I´m running a Mallory Unilite distributor, And a Holley 3310. 750cfm with 68 jets on the primarys, Both of these will be swapped this winter, I think i´ll go MSD 6AL ignition instead, And maybe a carb from proform.

Between 2K and 5K there was a steady climb all the way up to those 371.4 (That´s with a 1" carb-spacer, without it we lost 4 HP)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Our 63 1/2 has a 428 with Edelbrock heads and, 2x4 blue thunder intake w/Holley 600's, Comp cam 292H, Harland Sharp roller rockers, MSD ignition, Eagle rods, 40 over Diamond pistons 10:1 . The horse power is 470 BHP @ 5500, and the torque is 525 FPT @ 4400.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts