Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knew things were going too well today! Slapped the socket on my dist hold down bolt, not paying attention, and with one quick twist promptly sheared the bolt off. Being the proverbial backyard mechanic, I'm not sure what to do next. Is there a way to remove the sheared off section from the block? Any and all suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there any of the bolt sticking above the surface? If there is, you may be able to grab it with a pipe wrench or vice grips.. Use some heat or PB Blaster (or the likes) first if it's stuck in there..

·
Registered
660 Posts
Go to your local parts store and get an "easy-out". You may as well get a set of them, they come in handy ALL THE TIME. Or maybe I just have a tendency to break bolts off...

You drill a hole in the top of the old bolt you broke off (try to keep it centered) then tap in the easy out and crank away. Usually works pretty good. Just make sure you tape up the hole for your dizzy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Like 65falcon said an Easy Out is just what the Dr. ordered. They are cheap and if you need one and don't have one.....well I guess you know what it's like. Even bolts that broke because they were too tight come out readily due to that drilling out the screw releases the tension . Good luck

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you own a mig welder you can sit a nut over the whats left of the bolt and fill the
hole in the nut. Then just wrench it out..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts