Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tore into my front end today to do my shelby drop. I already put in a monte carlo bar, which spread my towers almost an inch. Anyway, when I get the lft side off I notice that someone (the PO) had weldes a 1/8" plate over the upper control arm mounting holes, and then redrilled them. The problem is that he drilled them almost 1/8" too big. So now I'll never know if My geometry is right or not. At least when I drill the new holes the bolts will fit tight enough to not move.
Had to rant a little, it sucks when you have to stop a project because the stores are closed and someone else's sloppyness costs you time and money.
On to a happy note my GF went with me to Dallas Mustang yesterday and surprised me and got me a new rearview, 620 springs, monte carlo bar, and a 1" sway bar.
I think she's a keeper.

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Durn right she is. Whatcha gonna get for HER? (reciprocation always earns extra credit points) Why were the plates there? An old repair?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dod some cleaning up and I found some small cracks on the engine side of the shock tower. I guess someone wacked a curb and pulled the bolts through? It is a good repair, so I am not to worried about strength. I spent tonight making my templates for the drop out of 3/16" 3" wide stock. I am going to bolt them up using the old holes and weld them when my welder gets here in a week or so.
I also found out I had torn boots on my ball joints that are only 3 years old. They are still tight, but it irritates me. Is there a cheap fix for this?
One more question, does the shelby drop with the same shims increase or decrease the camber? I was wondering if I should put the old shims back in before I take it to get alligned and maybe the 3/16" plate and the spread of the towers from the monte carlo bar wil bring my camber back into specs, it was -1.6* before I started. I wanted to do the variocentric swap, but it is going to take a week or two for my welder to get here and I want to get my car running again so I can sell the (i'm sorry, I know)tahoe I bought to drive until I get the stang fixed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts