Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Shelby lettered FE intake for sale. It's a "Sidewinder" 427 model.

The guy said it's set up for a 428 CJ motor. I was wondering if this intake would work on my standard 1966 428 in my Galaxie?

Would there be a major mis match at the intake head mating surface with this combo?

Right now I run the stock iron 428 heads on my Galaxie but,in the near future I was thinking of going to some Edelbrock aluminum versions.

So in closing would this intake work well with the iron heads I run now?

And would it be a good intake choice for the Edelbrock aluminum FE heads in my cars future?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The intake should work fine on your motor.
My old FORD PERFORMANCE book says this intake will work with standard,medium riser and CJ heads.Says it was designed for the medium riser motor with a 780cfm Holley..I used the medium riser dual quad intake with the CJ heads and the intake just barely covered the CJs longer intake ports.I have heard of some guys welding a little extra on the bottom of the MR ports just to help seal the ports on the low riser or CJ heads but I had no trouble so they should fit the standard heads ports ok.You will save at least 55 lbs of weight alone not to mention the better performance of the intake.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 4/2/02 12:10am ]</font>

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
DynoTom can you measure the port sizes on this intake?I have a set of standard 428 heads as well as some CJs and I have the Medium and low riser intakes so I could do some measuring and we could compare so you were absolutely sure of the port sizes.Again I don't think its a problem but if you want to be absolutely sure we could do the measuring thing.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
You have a great score DT. Those Shelby manifolds in demand in some of the resto groups. As the manifold has such huge runners, it was designed to work with road race / Nascar,to work in the high end of the power scale (4500-6000).
BTW, what are they asking for it? (Just curious, always looking for heritage stuff)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Dyno that is one bad ass piece of history you have there. I paid 450$ for one of those going on 10 year ago, and it did not have the Shelby letters on it, I bet that came from a 428 powered Shelby Mustang. That will wake up any FE you put that on.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input guys!

I wanted to ask you just because I was'nt sure what the intake must have had done to it for the guy selling it to say "it's set up for a 428 Cobra-Jet".

I wonder if it had some of the port size modified from the 1.16 X 2.20 as cast "Sidewinder" to the 428 Cobra-Jets 1.24 X 1.94 port size?

The guy who is selling it is a Ford engine muscle parts Pro, I'm sure it's exactly what he says it is.

Does anyone have the port sizes for a standard 66 428 motor?

My book only lists the real HI-PO parts not standard parts?

I want to figure this out so I can call the dude and tell him to send it if I find out it will work good with my standard 428 motor in the Galaxie.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
That is a sweet deal. They weren't to many made and are a rarity. I had the oportunity 20 years ago to have 1 but I went with the 3 deuces for my side-oiler instead. (Kicking my self still)
If you don't use it, it would look real cool on the wall of your garage (or mine for that matter)

·
Registered
127 Posts
On 2002-04-02 00:50, DynoTom wrote:
Thanks for all the input guys!

I wonder if it had some of the port size modified from the 1.16 X 2.20 as cast "Sidewinder" to the 428 Cobra-Jets 1.24 X 1.94 port size?

428 CJ's didn't have 1.24*1.94 ports, they had the bigger port I believe 1.24*2.34 it was the taller, though I believe some of the 428PI's had the smaller ports

·
Registered
739 Posts
Here is what is published on this subject in the 3/01 Mustang Illustrated-
"The sidewinder manifold was one of a plethora of parts produced directly after the advent of the Medium-Riser 427, it was originally used for stick-shift drag race classes. The offset of the carb was intended to approach true equal length runners in the two-plane casting. A common modification was to weld in a plate in the plenum vertically for use on auto trans cars. Other common mods include welding and machine work at the bottom of each runner opening, on the underside of the manifold. This was done to allow the use of the manifold on a 427 low riser or a 428 CJ. The ports on the medium riser are actually smaller than the earlier parts. Intake port opening height for the low-riser and 428 were in the 2.0" to 2.2" range while the medium riser was 1.94". In order to use this medium riser manifold on the large opening head, it was necessary to add material to the lower edges of the ports, then enlarged to match the heads.
The is a very good manifold, particularly if you are using an auto. The only single 4bbl manifold that will outflow it is the Dove 9424-c or ca. Depending on which head you are using, there is even a version of the same Dove casting that fits the high riser. The major drawback to the sidewinder is that it tends to be quite pricey. The most desireable of these is the otherwise identical manifold with a Shelby marking. For pure utility, they aren't worth what is usually asked for them. For authenticity, one very well may be worth what it costs. For sheer power, use one of the Dove items."

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! I went ahead and bought the manifold today.

It should be here in a few days.I asked the guy selling it about the ports on this manifold being able to run with a standard 428 head and he said it would work fine.

I think it one of the coolest looking intakes they ever made!

I'll post some pics when I get the manifold on the car.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Tom
If you ever decide to retire that old, out-of-date manifold.....it would really like the retirement home here.

I already have a lounge chair for it in front of the beer fridge.
Fred

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I know very little about the FE so this is merely an opinion. Look at the popularity of the Weiand Stealth series of intakes. High rise, dual plane with plenum volume of a singe plane. Now look at this particular Shelby piece. I would say it is fairly high rise, dual plane intake with lots of volume in the ports. Looks like a winner based on that comparison. Plus, it has the good fortune of having the letters S H E L B Y place on it. Shelby, there is none higher!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On 2002-04-03 09:29, Pale Rider wrote:
I know very little about the FE so this is merely an opinion. Look at the popularity of the Weiand Stealth series of intakes. High rise, dual plane with plenum volume of a singe plane. Now look at this particular Shelby piece. I would say it is fairly high rise, dual plane intake with lots of volume in the ports. Looks like a winner based on that comparison. Plus, it has the good fortune of having the letters S H E L B Y place on it. Shelby, there is none higher!
That's kinda the way I was thinking about it Palerider? I really wanted to keep it era correct looking under the hood. I figure this intake will look the part and perform very good as well!

65 Falcon Sprint Super-Stock Replica
66 Galaxie 500-XL 428 4-speed
91 Mustang GT 5-liter 5-speed
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460- Tow Vehical
"Wanted" Edelbrock F-427 390-428 intake

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 4/3/02 10:55pm ]</font>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts