Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one here adapted a stock early 60's Ford 4-speed shift handle to a Hurst Comp Plus Shifter?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Yes - just did that with a 427 R code w/ original T10. Got a shift lever mount adapter from Auto Krafters. They have 2 versions - 7210H627 > 62-67 with 1 3/4 inches between the Ford shifter screw holes
7210H689 > 68-69 with 2 inches between the Ford shifter screw holes

Page 36 of their current catalog.

The first one worked for me. The part of the bracket that bolts to the shifter (as opposed to the handle) was a little thinner than the Hurst shift handle so I shimmed it (made from some scrap metal a friend had that was about the right thickness). Proably not necessary but I felt better.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got one of the Auto Krafter's brackets. Didn't like the way it made the Ford handle stick up about 2 1/2" taller than stock. I figured out that I can make one and lower the handle about 1 1/4". I'll see how that works.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Got one of the Auto Krafter's brackets. Didn't like the way it made the Ford handle stick up about 2 1/2" taller than stock. I figured out that I can make one and lower the handle about 1 1/4". I'll see how that works.
I don't think it is the adpater so much as the Hurst shifter. The base of the adapter fits right where the base of the Hurst shifter handle would go. In my instance, even before I mounted the handle I could see it the shifter itself was a bit higher but mine was more like 3/4" or so

1 - 5 of 5 Posts