Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a FMX trans and i was wondering if anyone knows if any company makes a performance shifter for it because i cant find one. please i need help. thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
I never found one and I looked for 6 months. Finally bought a c6 just so I could put a floor shifter in my Ranchero. Sorry....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lokar makes a retro styled shifter, but that's about all we've got. =

·
Registered
698 Posts
I too am looking for a shifter for my "light weight" FMX. Since A/M FMX shifters are rare as hens teeth, why can't another shifter be made to fit the FMX? Aren't auto's shifted by a lever on the side? What am I missing?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
It has been a number of years since I have looked at an FMX up close. Doesn't it have the starter/neutral switch mounted on the side of the case like a C4/C6? And when you remove the starter/neutral switch, there is about an inch of the lever you can mount the adapter from like B&M on it? IF so, you might be able to adapt or make a bracket to mount the cable to the side of the transmission.

·
Registered
629 Posts
On the FMX, at least in my 1969 Cougar,the neutral safety switch is located in the shifter housing on the trans tunnel, right where the bushings are for the shifter. If you think it's rough finding a shifter, try to find the nuetral saftey switch for a reasonable price, they have become very expensive, last time I recall seeing one offered it was close to a hundred dollars!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The shift ordrer is reversed on a fmx from that of a c-6 or c-4.I put a Hurst v gate on my 70 Torino but it was tricky.The cable must be run from the front of the car to the shift lever on the trans.I made a bracket similar to the ones that came in the shifter box and drilled and bolted it through the floor pan to get just the right angle and distance.I also pulled the trans pan to see the shift stops for each gear,to figure out prd21 position.It can be done and works great!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: steve m on 4/21/02 10:53am ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts