Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and Gals,
I get the S - - - shocked out of me every time I blow the car horn. You'd think you grabbed hold of a spark plug wire. It's got a new relay and the horns blow OK but when you let up off the horn ring you get shocked. What gives? Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,316 Posts
Awesome! If you ever feel sleepy driving cross-country, we know how you'll positively stay awake! Thanks for being a safe driver.
:tup:
David

PS: if you disconnect the connector from the horn, does it still shock you? When it shocks you, is it a momentary shock when you are releasing - or exactly how and when do you get the zap?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It zaps you when the horn is first pushed in or being released. While the horn is blowng it's OK. If the steering colume wasn't grounded it wouldn't blow. It's like I've got a lot of current flowing through the horn wire in the steering colume and when released it's jumping current. But, there's got to be more voltage than 12V. Good lord, everyones touched the terminals of a battery at the same time. Our bodies have too much resistance to let 12 volts bother it. It's like I grabbed hold of a spark plug wire. Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Jim, I'm afraid we don't have enough information to help you. Go shock yourself about a dozen more times and report back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Behold, the Galaxie tri-tone horn. A high note, a low note—and Jim Nolan yelling in between!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Why would there ever be enough voltage at the steering wheel to feel like
a shock from a plug wire? Think some one has wired you for fun?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Jim, I'm afraid we don't have enough information to help you. Go shock yourself about a dozen more times and report back.
People lets have a little decorum please. A fellow Galaxie owner needs our
help. for god sake.

Jim, how you coming along with those dozen shocks?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,853 Posts
Damn guy's, he's a Galaxie owner, you know he can handle as many as 20 honks before he passes out.... LOL

Jim, the only thing I can see that would be giving you a shock it that YOU are grounded out somewhere. Put on rubber soles, DO NOT LEAN on the door, and honk it and see if the same results occur.

If you aren't grounded you cannot be shocked. Simple as that. Electricity must have a direction to flow in before you can feel it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Jim, I don't know why you're complaining. HiPo Galaxies come standard with heavy duty shocks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm glad you guys are having fun.
I will take another look at the horn ring but I really don't know what I'd be looking for. This is the second horn relay I've used with the same results.
As far as being grounded, no you don't have to be grounded. Just think about it, you walk across carpet and grab hold of a door handle and get shocked. That's static electriciy that builds up to a lot of volts.
Come to think of it I'm going to lay rubber floor mats in it instead of carpeted floor mats and see it that makes a difference. That might be where it's coming from. Jim PS I bet you guys would really feel bad if tomorrow in the Warsaw paper the headlines read " Local man dies of electrocution while tooting his own horn" lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
if not , take off the ring, remove the three little screws, look for contact points between the cup shaped piece and the ring frame
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Galax-Z,
I'll do that right now. hope you're right. Jim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's fixed now. The spring that sits between the outside horn rim and the cupped plate that makes the contact was not insulated. It doesn't shock me anymore. Thanks Galax-z. Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
To all of you guys who were making fun of Jim's situation.....it is absolutely SHOCKING that you would behave that way...................
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,864 Posts
I'm glad you guys are having fun.lol

When my Galaxie imagination shocks me it's usually something like me and shotrod in the back seat. I would not waste good dlectricity on a story like that
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,853 Posts
I'm glad you guys are having fun.
I will take another look at the horn ring but I really don't know what I'd be looking for. This is the second horn relay I've used with the same results.
As far as being grounded, no you don't have to be grounded. Just think about it, you walk across carpet and grab hold of a door handle and get shocked. That's static electriciy that builds up to a lot of volts.
Come to think of it I'm going to lay rubber floor mats in it instead of carpeted floor mats and see it that makes a difference. That might be where it's coming from. Jim PS I bet you guys would really feel bad if tomorrow in the Warsaw paper the headlines read " Local man dies of electrocution while tooting his own horn" lol
You ARE the conductor, the door is the Ground, THAT is why the static charge zaps you. You only feel the current as it LEAVES your body. But you insulating that spring made a separation of you and the body that's why you don't get the zap from the horn anymore.

My logic is irrefutable :D It's monkey science {:()
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
Jim if you smoke lick down the side of the cig and touch it to the horn. A couple of good sparks and you also got a new cig lighter. It is kinda shocking you donot get a patting on it before someone else invents it.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top