Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my front and rear shocks. They look terrible and also hoping it helps it be less floaty and give it some better handling. I am looking at the KYB Gas A Just shocks front and rear. Says these are an upgrade over oem style and give more control and handling. Looks good based on what i read online but if any other opinions, i am happy to read them. Since i am on a budget, i have to do shocks first and cannot do coilovers or a nice upgrade like that.

Tom

·
Registered
496 Posts
i am running them on my 66. i have been very happy with them, used in conjunction with a set of front and rear swaybars and new springs, they def do the job well w out going crazy on price. I would recommend them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am running them on my 66. i have been very happy with them, used in conjunction with a set of front and rear swaybars and new springs, they def do the job well w out going crazy on price. I would recommend them.
Great to read this, thanks! These KYB Gas A Just are the ones i will go with. Also where did you get your springs from? Did you just upgrade the fronts? I would like sway bars too but those may have to wait. But also where did you get those from? My car does have a front sway bar but not sure it is doing much.

·
Registered
774 Posts
As far as sway bars go I'm running the Hotchkis on the front and I have the PMT Fabrication set up on the rear. The Hotchkis front sway bar was $45.00 cheaper than PMT that's why I went with it. As a side note, the Hotchkis website says the sway bar is for '65-66 but it actually fits 65-68 and is stated as such on the instructions.

Made a huge difference.

PMT Fabrication rear trailing arm kit

Hotchkis Front Sway Bar

·
Registered
496 Posts
man thats nice...but pricey. I went with spohn adjustable rear arms (330 i think shipped) and addco swabars (think they were around 320 total), vs the cost of the hotchkiss. + the springs and lifting spacers (like 250).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate all the info and insight.
Now im convinced i need the sway bars front and rear and the springs.

Variable rate in the rear and constant rate up front. Right?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Another vote for KYB shocks. My '63 Comet rides better than my 2017 Lincoln MKC! Those spring stiffeners need to go in the trash can. A Band-aid remedy for sagging body stance. Does wonders for ride quality :rolleyes:

I need to install new leaf springs to fix a slight sag. General Spring has decent pricing but I'm not sure of quality. Ordering a pair of heavy-duty ones that may compromise ride quality but help with wheel hop.

Joe

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahhh ok, well they certainly are not helping stiffen up the suspension, bery floaty and boat like with poor control. Definitely will need to order new springs then.

Glad to read another positive for the kyb gas a just shocks. Definitely getting them.

Ive seen some springs on rock auto mevotech and a few others on other store sites.

Plus ill need a stabilizer bar.

I should hope all this together ill notice a nice positive upgrade difference in the handling characteristics.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
These are definitely a good first step in a slightly sagging spring but will only go so far. All 4 of the springs on my 65 had these in them when I swapped in the Hotchkis stuff, and she was a saggy mess by then.

Someone put KYBs in my 50 F1 pickup way back and they still work very well. Definitely great bang for the buck there and was planning on going this route over the winter as I freshen up the suspension.

I looked at General Spring for that same truck but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I like that they come with shackles on certain kits, so it's less shopping for parts or worrying if you'll need to replace yours once you get in there. Just replace it all. Curious to see what you think if you order from them.

Check out Eaton Detroit Springs, too. They are more expensive, but you can actually get them in different ride heights than stock (at least I could for my truck). Stock ride height or +/- a few inches (in 1 inch increments). Definitely more money, but "Made in America" is nice to know on these.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I looked at General Spring for that same truck but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I like that they come with shackles on certain kits, so it's less shopping for parts or worrying if you'll need to replace yours once you get in there. Just replace it all. Curious to see what you think if you order from them.
Hit it on the head with General Spring. It's one-stop shopping for shackle kits and proper bushings for your application. I was highly impressed they carried the correct parts for my car in both standard and heavy-duty. Their information is correct, which is more than I can say for other vendors. I'll post installation pics later when I get to it, hopefully by the end of the year. Stock ride height is fine by me. I'm not into the slammer look.

Joe

·
Registered
288 Posts
I thought more about going up instead of down, lol. I'm not into the lowering thing either. I was thinking of going up with the rear of my truck just a little bit but didn't want the harshness of the "heavy duty" spring setup. Unless the truck (or car) is loaded and hauling or towing something, the ride becomes unpleasant.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
288 Posts
A spacer is more "pleasant" than the heavy duty leaf springs, at least on the old trucks. But once you load up those heavy duty springs, they really come into their own.

But you're a testament to getting a leaf sprung tow rig to work properly! Sounds like you found the sweat spot for height, comfort, and function.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regarding sway bars, I have the PMT Fabrication set up on the back and the Hotchkis on the front. I chose the Hotchkis front sway bar because it was $55.00 less expensive than PMT. On the Hotchkis website, the sway bar is listed as being for models from 1965 to 1966; however, the instructions specifically mention that it fits models from 1965 to 1968.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts