Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the Ford Short V-Belt Water Pump (M-8501-E351S) in an early Ford, what kind of WP pulley did you use, what kind of alternator brackets did you use, can you still use a mechanical fuel pump? Thanks

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I have one but have not installed yet. Here is a photo comparing the short pump to a standard pump.

The short pump requires the use of some special pulleys. Here's the kicker - Ford quit making them. They still make the pump though. I called FRPP and asked about the pulleys and was told that they are looking for a new manufacturer. In the meantime, the old stock was purchased by a neighboring company. Call FRPP to get the contact info if you plan to use the pump.

Standard brackets work you can still use your mechanical pump.

62 Falcon - 331 stroker - C4

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pbrown on 10/27/06 10:22am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pbrown on 10/27/06 1:32pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I think the short water pump was originally used on the V8 Explorers.One thing to be aware of is the early pre 1970(?) small blocks had a passenger side water pump inlet not the drivers side inlet of later models.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
The pump being discussed was never used on a production cat or truck. The Explorer pump is a reverse rotation pump and will not work with a mechanical fuel pump.

But you have a point on the water inlet. This street rod pump has the inlet on the drivers side so you will need a radiator to match.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

Correct, I have the lower radiator outlet on the drivers side for this pump, and it uses the original timing chain cover unlike the explorer version, my concern besides finding the right pulley that will line up with my existing setup is that it doesn't have the extra alternator bracket mounting hole that my early WP setup has. I found a real shallow WP pulley at Pick a Part this morning off a Chrysler that might work and I will probably have to fab a new Alternator bracket that uses the available bolts.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The rotation of the water pump makes no difference on a mechanical fuel pump. The pump is driven off the timing chain, the WP has nothing to do with it.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
On 2006-10-27 14:09, ChicoB wrote:
The rotation of the water pump makes no difference on a mechanical fuel pump. The pump is driven off the timing chain, the WP has nothing to do with it.
I reread my post and see the confusion. I was trying to say that the Explorer water pump would not work with a mechanical fuel pump because it requires a special timing chain cover that does not have the mounting provisions for a mechanical fuel pump.

I do know that the fuel pump is operated by the ecentric attached to the front of the cam gear.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
On 2006-10-27 14:03, calfordguy wrote:
Thanks guys,

Correct, I have the lower radiator outlet on the drivers side for this pump, and it uses the original timing chain cover unlike the explorer version, my concern besides finding the right pulley that will line up with my existing setup is that it doesn't have the extra alternator bracket mounting hole that my early WP setup has. I found a real shallow WP pulley at Pick a Part this morning off a Chrysler that might work and I will probably have to fab a new Alternator bracket that uses the available bolts.
I am using the Summit Racing aluminum bracket for my alternator. The large long bolt goes to head and the other two go through the water pump. I think it will work with the short pump. I have some photos of the pump installed on another Falcon. PM me your email address and I'll send them to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts