Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the prefered setup for a 65 289 daily driver...stock exhaust manifolds, shorty headers or something else? I just did a stock rebuild with a mild crower baja cam. I'll by replacing the stock single exhaust with duals of some sort. And MAYBE going to a 4 barrel in the next few months. It's got the stock 2 barrel now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Go to shorties. They will give you extra power and are the basis for later upgrades. stock headers are too restrictive. Long tubes only provide gains above about 3500 rpm

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Shorty headers are the only way to go in a 65,66 (IMO not every ones)
, any way the advantages are fit and finish, and no clearence probs as with long tubes, ease of installation. I belive there is little if any HP or TQ loss with a good tuned shorty header and exhaust system. There are many header manufacturers out there, JBA shorties will set you back a few more dollars than the rest but well worth the extra expense.

·
Registered
150 Posts
you might want to look at the hedman shortie headers . i have them on my 67 and they fit great and look good. the best part is they only set me back about $100.00 from jegs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The headmen shorties are a good deal with stock heads. But they don't fit the ports of aftermarket heads. I have a set of trick flow twisted wedge and they bolt up but when I tried to grind out the headers to match the ports there was not enough material. I ground through the pipes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts