Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 302 that will run a 650 dbl pumper, 9.5:1 cr, 222/226 @ .050, .500 lift cam and ported 351W heads milled to 58cc. Right now i have the 1.84/1.54 valves. I have not begun porting, and am contemplating larger 1.94 valves. This isn't a track car, and i want to know if the larger valves will hurt torque too much. Doesnt' cost much more for the larger valves, and i know the heads will flow more, but do i need it with my combo? Anyone do have a similar setup? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I have a similar setup to yours. 512 lift cam, 284 duration. I have the 194/160's in my 351 heads. It's in the process of being finished now. I can let you know early next week. Everyone I've heard from who have done this are thrilled, especially with a good port job included.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fxcomet -
What use will the car see? Are you running a those heads on a 302? Please let me know how it runs - either at the track, or on the street - i'll look for your post. I am curious if the bottom end will fall out with the larger valves. I probably will go ahead and do it anyway, just want to get a consensus for my application. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Car will see street, some strip duty. I'm running a 350 rear gear and 4 speed. I had the heads shaved 20 thou to help on the compression. Heads are on 289 block, 30 over.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I've had the set of 351 W heads for about 10 years now, 1.94-1.60 valves I've had them on a street motor, S/S motor and a full race motor and now back on our 64 Falcon Sprint for Street/Strip motor my wife drives .the best all around heads for a 302/289 for the price.

Alan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts