Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've said in other posts, when I put in my T5, I messed up a bolt hole on the flywheel, tapped it for a larger bolt, and now the balance is off. I've been driving it like this since november. I'm going to be taking the tranny down and pulling the flywheel probably tomorrow, to take to a machine shop to have a helicoil installed, and re-balanced.
I drip oil from the bellhousing, and I did before also. I'm guessing the rear seal is going out. (Motor has original 110K on it).
Question is, I'm sure I've done damage to the main bearings, so should I take the oil pan off, and replace the bearings and the main seal while my car is already un-driveable, or just leave them and wait a couple of months for a new engine/rebuild? The leak isn't that bad, about three or four drops over night.
If I don't need new bearings, I'm not going to take the pan off just for the seal. But how can I tell if I need new bearings, short of looking at them? One thing I can tell you, when I rev the motor, and look at the crank pulleys, they don't move front to back at all.
Sorry for the long post. I'm only a little nervous because I'm taking the car on a trip from the Bay Area to San Diego and Back in about a month.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
When you change the oil does the lower end rap while the oil pressure is coming back up, filling the system? If it don't rap I say wait for the rebuild and save your money, the bearings are probably in good shape.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, it doesn't. Could I check by grabbing the flywheel and moving it up and down before I pull it off? Or would it not move in any case?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
If you can move that fly wheel up and down by hand junk the motor.

If it don't rap in the morning or after an oil change you should be in good shape.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
I'd leave it alone. Are you thinking you messed up the bearings by running it out of balance... by using one larger pressur plate bolt? Well, that bolt is no big deal. Remember, extra metal was taken out of the flywheel to make the larger bolt work... plus, even if it WAS off by the weight difference of the bolts, it's no big deal. Engines have been run with balances off WWWAAAAYYYY more than that.

You're risking more by tearing it down a month before a long trip than leaving it alone. 3-4 drops a night is nothing. Just run it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
And the biggest sign of bearing wear is oil pressure and noise..If you are getting right around 10psi per thousand rpms...you're good and the bearings shouldnt be to worn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts