Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends

I have a 289 with a Comp 270hr, Holley street avenger 57o, Edelbrock performer intake. The timing is set at 16 initial and the idle is a steady 850rpm. When I went to set the idle I checked my vacuum gauge and it was between 16-18 but had a bit of fluctuation...not that steady idle. Would this be the camshaft with 533 lift and 215duration @0.050 It seems to idle smooth and revs up nice with no miss...Just thought I may have been dealt a vacuum leak on the intake installation and need to pull it off again. I was told I could cover the carb with a rag and if it still ran that would indicate a vacuum leak....Or is it just an big cam in a small motor.

Thanks

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok looks like after spaying brake cleaner around the aluminum Ford spacer and the mounting pad on the intake, I have a very slight vacuum leak...That is after getting a new felpro #60059 gasket. This gasket is very firm may not have that nice crush sealing effect. Might have to try the Phenolic 4 hole spacer from Mr Gasket...The idle is pretty good for a big cam just ever so slight fluctuation on the vacuum at 17 now.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have yet to re torque the intake ...Did the initial installation with 10-15lbs on it . Ran it today and did find that when I sprayed a bit of brake clean around the base of the carb & spacer it made the cars idle change. .....Off to the garage and get the torque wrench out. This is the cast 289 intake. Good call.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re-torqued and was perfect at 17 ft lbs ...Frustration and impatient I pulled the intake...I found that the intake never made an imprint on the lower half of the intake. The intake is not sealing on the lower half. My aluminum f4b Edelbrock worked fine...only took it off because I thought the old cast would give me better low end. Probably a bad choice .

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts