Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know my answer, however I just want to check bases with you guys.

When I got my car my suspension was 50 years old. I started doing heavy suspension work when I noticed my front passanger tire was wearing down quickly and badly on the inside half of the tire. Since then, I have replaced:

Upper Ball Joints
Lower Ball Joints
Steering Stabilzer
Upper Control Arm Bushings
Lower Control Arm Burshings
Tie Rod Ends
Idler Arm
Shock Absorbers

Everything has been greased well and is rock solid.

Once done I got an alignment done, not at my normal shop and it took them 3 days...

The other day I went to look at my worn tire, with the intent of replacing it, and noticed that now the drivers side front fire has the same wear.

So I have new tires in hand and am ready to have them installed and my alignment re-checked.

My question for you guys is, am I missing something??? Did I overlook something. My only two thoughts are, could the one worn tire cause the other tire to wear down? Or I got a bad alignment- the shop didn't even give me the print out, which I thought was odd..

Thanks for any help/input.
-Zig

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I'd think that the alignment went from being bad on one side to equally bad on both sides. The shop may have aligned it to specs, but they may have had the wrong specs. Sounds like you may have too much toe-out and/ or negative camber.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You have a '66 Ford? Take a picture of the upper arm from under the hood and post it here.

That may be the 1st year of the sliding upper control arm. There is a special tool available to move the arm once it gets loosened up. Those have to be incredibly tight once it's set right, or else it may move.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have a '66 Ford? Take a picture of the upper arm from under the hood and post it here.

That may be the 1st year of the sliding upper control arm. There is a special tool available to move the arm once it gets loosened up. Those have to be incredibly tight once it's set right, or else it may move.
Don't have a picture at the moment, but I know what you are referring too. And yes, it is adjustable. Where the upper bolts up to the frame has two slots that allow about 1.5" worth of wiggle. Perhaps the shop that did the alignment didn't torque those well enough?

I wish some shops would accept the fact they don't know what they are doing with old cars and turn down the work. They assured me they could handle it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Ziggy,
I get mine done at a local shop, Wilson Tire in Elon. The guys own old Fords and seem to know what they are doing. I had trouble finding a place that would even touch mine, since it was older than 1980. Ask for Stephen, he is the owner and has always been good to work with.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The arm has serrations on where it mates to the frame, which helps with the arm sliding. From there it has to be motherin' tight. I would put a wrench on it to make sure they're tight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts