Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched...but obviously incorrectly.

63 Galaxie,....complete restoration.

I'm at the point where the glass needs to be removed from the stainless and galvanized frames in order for the rubber seals to be replaced.

I'm assuming they must be glued in the three sided frames for the doors.

Before I split a glass edge or explode the whole piece....do any of you have a trick?

Glue softened by thinner?
Putty knife and a few Hail Mary's?
Put it in a vice and pull like hell?
Quit being such a wuss and just grab it and growl?

Help.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Never mind,.....I got it figured out.

Thanks..........
How about telling us what you did to help out others that may need to do the same thing. I know at some point I am going to have to do this to mine and don't have a clue on how.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was a little uncalled for.

I've helped several people out with specific questions regarding their situation with glass/frame separation via private messages.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thank you for the PM explaining how you did it. You may want to post what you sent me into this thread to help out others that didn't get a PM from you. Maybe the reason that you didn't get a lot of answers to your original question is because nobody knew. Without you posting it here, they still won't know. Everybody likes to learn what they don't know.

·
Registered
513 Posts
And it always helps, always, to state exactly which Galaxie or other car you are referring to. I solved a problem with crappy-rusty window channels in our car—took my dumb-ass forever to figure it out but I did, I have the photos to prove it—yet I can't tell if I can help you, Hodad, because I don't know what model Galaxie you have. A sedan window is completely different from a hardtop, etc. Perhaps your initial inability to find a solution via search...was because somebody else didn't post their solution, rather than PM the fix.

Good luck with your Gal. I know those windows drove me car-rrrazy!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Perhaps your initial inability to find a solution via search...was because somebody else didn't post their solution, rather than PM the fix.
I've been on many forums for different cars I've owned, and pretty much all of them always provided insight and answers to the questions I've had at the time. If the answers are not posted, they can't be searched. At this point I still do not know what the OP did to "figure it out". Since he is apparently going to keep the rest of us in the dark, can one of you he PM'd please post the information? I personally do not need it at this moment, but I certainly might at some point and would like to be able to find it, when I need it.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
That was a little uncalled for.

I've helped several people out with specific questions regarding their situation with glass/frame separation via private messages.
maybe so....
i thought you asked a very good question....

as it has been one thing i have been thinking of my self...
looking at my frames and chrome at some point will have to be redone...

you posted the question and if some one had the awnser
,i assume, would kindly reply here... on how to do it.....

you now have the awnser....

if you can take the time , to write it in a P/M....

why not here?????

so everyone else can get the bennefit from it now or later.....;)

i my self can most likelly figure it out by my self as well...
but would be nice to have the information before starting project.....

just sayin.....:)

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have received some fantastic advice of this forum and even been sent some parts foc , because of this I will post the pm I received on this subject in the hope it will help someone else out .

I slowly worked my thinnest putty knife between the metal frame and the black tape that is actually stuck to the glass. I pulled the putty knife out, moved over an inch and worked it back in. After going completely around the frame I flipped the window over and did the same on the other side.
After the screw were removed from the frame, I could slowly wiggle the steel frame sections off the glass, the tape staying on the glass.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The idea was to find the seals most vulnerable point, which turned out to be the "tape to metal" bond....not the "tape to glass". This didn't take but a few insertions of the blade to figure out.

Just break that seal slowly around the frame by inserting and removing a very thin putty knife every inch or so around the frame on both sides. Once that seal is broken, start trying to move the frame away from the glass...with a wiggle it will work loose.

The glass I was working on belongs in a 63 1/2. To replace the tape you will find an item listed as something like "Ford glass setting tape from 1949-72" So the same method should work for several models and year.

Oh yeah,.....the putty knife I was using is about as thin as a few of my feeler gauges.

Sorry about being an ass-wipe for a few days......

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sorry about being an ass-wipe for a few days......
No biggie, as we can all be that way at times. Thanks for providing the info though. I'm sure it will help others at some time on this forum.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the removal went well but the replacement did not.

The rust had weakened the bottom channel to the point where it was able to spread out just a bit during the removal. The new tape therefore only provided a poor seal. So poor in fact that I was forced to resort to masking tape and black silicone to re-seal the glass to the steel.

Fortunately the remaining windows do not need any welding repairs....so they will be left alone.

By the way,....the original style "cork" tape is not sticky on one side like I thought it would be. The masking tape left on the factory original should have tipped me off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts