Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am entertaining a random thought to put Cobra style exhaust-side pipes with heat shields on a '67 Galaxie Xl. Does anyone have any experience or has anyone seen one with this done? Good or bad mod? Functional yes, but looks? Hassle? Open to input from the family :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
I am entertaining a random thought to put Cobra style exhaust-side pipes with heat shields on a '67 Galaxie Xl. Does anyone have any experience or has anyone seen one with this done? Good or bad mod? Functional yes, but looks? Hassle? Open to input from the family :)
ive looked into it before and in the end i thought it wasn't a very good idea. it doesn't look to good on these cars imho

·
Registered
924 Posts
You need to consider ground clearance with the trend to make cars ride lower. Those pipes will be under the rockers and the first point of contact on a speed bump.
Mike

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK opinions, here is a Generic set of side pipes I put on a 67 after THOUSANDS of hours of Designing and testing.

It truly appearsasthough those "thousands " of hours payed off heheheI kinda like 'em. Tru. they will be the first things to hit a speed bump....shame...real shame...

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I had some on my 70 years ago, and clearance was definitely a major issue. Unless your roads are runway flat, I wouldn't bother. The looks and sound aren't worth the "SCRUNNNNNNCH" when it bottoms out. :(

·
Registered
622 Posts
It truly appearsasthough those "thousands " of hours payed off heheheI kinda like 'em. Tru. they will be the first things to hit a speed bump....shame...real shame...
ive looked into it before. even as it is my crites long tube headers (the tubes go over and in front of the engine crossmember/frame) scrape with stock HD springs and KYB shocks and those things hang down LESS than what sidepipes would require!!!

i think the best option if you really want to run sidepipes is to run faux pipes of maybe 1 1/2-2 inches or so down the side and then make the real exhaust exit the side and try to make it look like one pipe.....or something like that.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
...mmmmm.... :tdn:

...tacky...

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Hey Mr. SS,
While you're at it, don't forget entertaining the random thought of putting a Fox Tail attached to your Radio Antennae, a pair of Fuzzy Dice, or a Shrunken Head hanging from the Rear View Mirror, little Dingle Balls hanging down from the top of all the Windows, Curb Feelers on the Passenger Side, a set of Zebra or Leopard Skin Seat Covers, and maybe a set of Texas Longhorns mounted on the front of the hood. :)

Heh heh heh heh

JC

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hey Mr. SS,
While you're at it, don't forget entertaining the random thought of putting a Fox Tail attached to your Radio Antennae, a pair of Fuzzy Dice, or a Shrunken Head hanging from the Rear View Mirror, little Dingle Balls hanging down from the top of all the Windows, Curb Feelers on the Passenger Side, a set of Zebra or Leopard Skin Seat Covers, and maybe a set of Texas Longhorns mounted on the front of the hood. :)

Heh heh heh heh

JC
My thoughts exactly.....

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Mr. SS,

Heh heh heh heh

JC
Well than you for your HONEST opinion JC. hehe.. I didn't say I was gpoing to do it. Just said that I was entertaining the thought.. Just like for one second or two, I entertained the though about actually buying a crate 427 fro Ford to drop in her.. for about $ 14-16 thousand dollars...(That thought did not last very long) Brainstorming is fun though. I thought about putting them on my '64 Galaxie too..but never happened.

Thank you all for the input guys ...Bottom line = NO SIDE PIES are going on my XL. Thanks! hehehehe

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Well than you for your HONEST opinion JC. hehe.. I didn't say I was gpoing to do it.
Hey Mr. SS,
And you'll notice that in my post, it was never suggested that you actually do any of the things mentioned. All that WAS mentioned was to "don't forget entertaining the random thought".

Just said that I was entertaining the thought.. Just like for one second or two, I entertained the though about actually buying a crate 427 from Ford to drop in her for about $ 14-16 thousand dollars...(That thought did not last very long)
But wouldn't it be nice to be able to afford to do such a thing?

Brainstorming is fun though. I thought about putting them on my '64 Galaxie too..but never happened.
Thank Goodness! :)

Thank you all for the input guys ...Bottom line = NO SIDE PIPES are going on my XL. Thanks! hehehehe
Just a side comment here: I don't GENERALLY read, and almost NEVER respond to the posts that ask questions such as the "Of these two custom 37" wheels, which would look best on a (whatever year) Galaxie R-Code?", OR "Which of these two 1,500 CFPM Carburetors would work best on my 289 CID Y-Block Engine" genre.

But yesterday, I happened by the Post Office, with an envelope to send to Gary (FE&GB), only to find that they are no longer open on Saturday (probably something to do with the Fiscal Cliff, and the budget cuts instigated by the Tea-Party), and in my P.O. Box was a Summit Racing Catalog, since I had bought something, I forget what, from them some time ago.

And the thought occurred to me that THAT kind of catalog is probably the source of some of these questions such as the ones cited above.

Got to looking at some of the things that are available, and can see that for the inveterate impulse buyer for whom the Summit Racing Catalog is especially designed, that it would obviously be a VERY difficult decision to make between THIS gorgeous photograph of a wheel or carburetor, and THAT gorgeous photograph of a wheel or carburetor.

Fortunately, the prices on some of these items are prohibitive which keeps the average person from actually trying to put some exotic piece of equipment on their vehicle. BUT, that being said, there ARE those out there who don't know any better, who CAN afford such stuff. Summit Racing just LOVES those people, I bet.

Anyway, Lake Pipes on a Galaxie? C'mon! :)

JC

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well JC,

I will be getting around to purchasing a 431 stroker kit for my 390. It uses the Scat cast crank. I'm tossing around a few different discusions with Comp as to a good solid roller for a dual Quad set-up (vacuum secondaries) with Harland Sharpes and am looking around locally for a guy that will either build it for me or help/teach me do it. Aside from that:

I ask for input due to the fact that there are those of us that have much more experience doing things in life and as a professional tradesman, I lean more to listening to someone that has been there done that than just going with an impulse/assumption. Thus I research and ask questions.
It has taken me 13 years to get here with my car and decide to do the work on this car. I am now financially able to and yes I'd LOVE to get a crate 427, who wouldn't?

But it would be more fun to do it myself and have something that taught me things rather than sell out and be "That Guy" whom just has money and no idea what's going on in life... or cars. I'm not one to just go with flow either.

I did find your "entertaining" suggestions quite amusing though hehehe

Thank you for your current and future help :)

Tommy

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well, you already decided so my input is moot, but I was gonna say:

10% chance of looking cool if done right (whatever that is)

90% chance of looking ******* as hell.:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts