Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a SMALL generator that is very quiet for my wire welder 125 so i can build some things on my ford.

i will check the big hardware stores.
and i have been searching online and harbor freight but still need some advice on which is a good one to get.

there are alot of specs that i dont understand.
heres one i was looking at...not sure if it is quiet though..
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/tls/259599969.html

thanks

or this one>> but can it handle a small welder?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94678

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: trukstopcowboy on 1/10/07 6:56pm ]</font>

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
I think you'll need at least 2500 watts to run that welder. Honda probably makes the quietest gens I've seen.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I'd deffenitly go with a 4 stroke which ever you go with you don't want to have to mix your gas as well as the smoke from the exhaust of the 2 stroke stinking up the neiborhood.
OH I'd have to agree Honda is the best..
tim

64 International 4dr. truck w/466

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pedal2themetal45 on 1/10/07 10:20pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Northern Tool had some listed under their house brand that were Honda powered at about 1/2 the price of a Honda generator. Uncertain if they are as quiet as a Honda branded unit but if they are you could save some $$.

I see Coleman offers a few with 10HP Subaru engines in them. Decent price point there as well. Uncertain as to noise factor.

Murff

·
Registered
333 Posts
The burritos at Taco Bell?..........Ah, come on, someone had to say it!

·
Registered
333 Posts
On 2007-01-10 12:39, CaptVirgilHilts wrote:
I thought it but they're not always silent! Stu
Whoa, you ate a talking burrito?!?!? Sorry, I'll stop now.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
On 2007-01-10 10:37, Murff wrote:
Northern Tool had some listed under their house brand that were Honda powered at about 1/2 the price of a Honda generator. Uncertain if they are as quiet as a Honda branded unit but if they are you could save some $$.

I see Coleman offers a few with 10HP Subaru engines in them. Decent price point there as well. Uncertain as to noise factor.

Murff
I work with Generators daily (that's my job...for 14 years now). The honda-powered ones are nothing more than a coleman with a good engine. That's it. THey're still noisy. If you want quiet, you have to get a REAL Honda or Yamaha. Your welder probably draws 15-25 amps at 115VAC. Multiply 25 amps x 115 and you come up with 2875, which is your wattage requirement. You're going to want something with AT LEAST 500 watts more than what you're going to be using. Yamaha has a nice little EF4000, brushless, quiet...nice Generator for the money. They also have a EF3000i which is an inverter. Inverters are AWESOME. They run at a semi-fast idle all the time and speed up as load increases, which saves a TON of fuel. I bought a EF2800i a while back for taking to the track. Full tank of fuel lasts about 18 hours for what I do...which is running a battery charger and a few small lights. In the summer, we use it to power our trailer which has a coffee maker and a 7500 BTU A/C unit and it does use a little more fuel, but it still runs over 10 hours at full load. The 3000 is a lot heavier, but MUCH quieter (around 55 Db, IIRC). I haven't looked at the Honda line, but I believe they also have a 3000 inverter, and maybe a 4000i...not sure. But of all of the generators out there, there are only 2 that prove to be the quietest, Honda & Yamaha. IMO, the Yamaha excels because of their warranty and customer service. Kubota also makes some nice generators, but for what you're doing, I'd stick with the big 2.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts