Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was dumb and assumed the cylinder ID's, firing sequence, and wiring positions on the distributor were in my book.

So I spastically removed em all in haste to replace them with an MSD wiring, Coil, and Distributor in my 74 Gran Torino. It has the F series 302 in it.

PLEASE! Can someone tell me the following:

The cylinder positions (as in where is #1, 2, 3, etc.
the firing sequence
the wire positions on the distributor.

Thanks!

TMOTS

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheManOnTheStreet on 7/1/06 6:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
293 Posts
What year of F-series 302?

·
Registered
293 Posts
The firing order should be 15426378
1) Turn your motor over until you have TDC on number 1 (front left if facing car)
2) See which terminal your rotor is pointed at, that will be #1
3) Firing order will be counterclockwise from there.

Once you have #1 TDC, you can make any terminal on the distributor by removing it and reseating it so it points where you want.

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not questioning your knowledge, but the order seems odd as well. Again, I am somewhat a noobe....

ANd since I replaced the distibutor, how do I know it is in the correct position.. or does it matter...

OR should I remove the dist, set TDC for #1, and then install the distributor.. then go from there??

thanks BTW!~

TMOTS

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheManOnTheStreet on 7/1/06 6:31am ]</font>

·
Registered
293 Posts
The distributor rotor turns counter-clockwise.
cylinder numbering

4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5

Front of motor

Like I said, find #1 TDC, whichever terminal the rotor is pointed at will be #1. It doesnt care which terminal on the distributor you make #1.

Tracy

·
Registered
293 Posts
No prob. Sorry, I dont remember the gap. Did you say you got a MSD distributor? I thought they all were electronic. You might use the search in this forum and find a previous discussion. I do that a lot.
Tracy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did and it is. But for now, I just want to get the damned thing running on its original before I go any further.... Since I screwed up in the beginning.

Thanks though.

TMOTS

·
Registered
502 Posts
i think its about .017-.019. i used to use a matchbook cover if i couldnt find my point gauge. that will get u in the ballpark.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts