Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The factory mufflers on my 94 GT have blown holes in them and I've been told original equipment will cost me an arm and a leg, so the muffler shop advised me to put on turbo mufflers, how will these affect the sound INSIDE the car? I don't want to listen to a lot of noise or drone.

One last thing, how will an after market high-flow cat system affect the sound INSIDE the car? Just curious, will an off-road H-pipe make even more noise? Anyone got advice on these exhaust add-ons? I'm not looking for a lot of noise inside the car, I could handle a small whisper more, but not much.

Thanks guys/gals,

- Rad

·
Registered
194 Posts
the key to exhaust sound/noise inside the car is tail pipes (diameter and exit location) what i would tell someone to do is try to find mustangs of the same year group to listen to and maybe ask some exhaust shops if they have customer referal list.On the H pipe,if it is thin and cheap yes it will make more noise,if ford makes one it should be ok.the mark up on exhaust is HUGE so shop around and find a place that will let you watch from a safe distance and ask when there slow time is and go then after they finish if you are happy with sound and price,etc take them some (18 or 24) "BUD" they won't forget and when you need another system or your sub frame connectors welded in guess who gets the good deal! I ran a Midas now I run a Firestone

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking of using a custom-made off-road pipe with H-crossover, using standard alumunized-2.25" exhaust pipe with turbo mufflers and the factory 2" tail pipes.

The guy doing it is a friend and dang good at building exhaust, he runs his own shop, and it'll cost me about $100, does that sound good? What do ya think?

-Rad

·
Registered
395 Posts
If he is building it from scratch, I'd have him go with 2.5" from header to tail pipe. The performance gain is great. Thrush makes a Hush Thrush that should handle your noise concerns. Ford staggers the pipes slightly to help tone down the drone that occurs at about 2,000 rpm. Have your friend check a stock setup and look at the distance from the header exit to the front of the muffler, get those measurements for muffler placement under the car, and put the new mufflers in a similar location.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Install a Bassani X-Pipe and then install a good cat-back system. Again I would go with Bassani. They are awesome but worth the extra money. If you choose Flowmaster for mufflers, keep in mind they have a 2000 rom drone. But they are very good too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts