Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, building a 347 stroker with edelbrock heads. it is a part time project as i am away alot. bottom end is all set and heads,cam all in, but when i checked piston clearances (which appear OK) the book mentioned not to pump up lifters and set valve clearance as normal. turn motor over and then check the clay, after removing the heads again. all looks good.
BUT if the lifter is not pumped up surely it will have a shorter lift than after being pumped up? i did try and weld an old lifter so it wouldnot collapse and redid the test again. still looks good . am i being stupid and over thinking it,or is it possible that i could still have clearance problems. simple to remove heads again at this stage if you guys?girls have any ideas.
thanks

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
...but when i checked piston clearances (which appear OK) the book mentioned not to pump up lifters and set valve clearance as normal. turn motor over and then check the clay, after removing the heads again. all looks good.

BUT if the lifter is not pumped up surely it will have a shorter lift than after being pumped up?
What book are you using as a reference?

You would ascertain clearance(s) with a solid lifter(s) and checking spring(s).

The reason they do not want you to pump up the lifter is that someone may fire a fresh engine with pumped up lifters and experience valve-train failure.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
The reason they do not want you to pump up the lifter is that someone may fire a fresh engine with pumped up lifters and experience valve-train failure.
Please explain further to me kul, I dont' get how having pumped up lifters prior to firing the engine could result in failure over NOT having pumped up lifters when firing up the engine.

Thanks.

FE

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
And how do you explain solids?

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Originally Posted by KULTULZ

Please explain further to me kul, I dont' get how having pumped up lifters prior to firing the engine could result in failure over NOT having pumped up lifters when firing up the engine.

Thanks.

FE

THERE it is again! I ask for a REASON and you ignore me. I gotta know becasue I do NOT and I need to understand what the heck you were talking about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts