Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me if a '92 5.0L Thunderbird engine is same block as '76 302? Will it fit in place of 302 in '76 Bronco and bolt up to C-4 Transmission?
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unless your thunderbird has the 5.0 H.O. in which will be a roller motor. You can still use it using your intake,carb,water pump (being standard rotation),front cover,and oil pan. Things that you will need to re-use are 50 oz. dampner & flexplate, steel distributor gear. I did this conversion on a Maverick once it's a breeze! Any more questions just ask.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on rebuilding the TBird 5.0 (keeping TBird crank in) and getting rid of the 302. Glad to hear that I can use intake, carb, oil pan, and front cover from the 302.

When you say reuse I think you mean the TBird damper, TBird flexplate (to maintain balance) and TBird distributor gear correct?

If so, will the TBird flexplate bolt up to the C4 (Bronco) torque converter?

However, according to Chilton's '91 & '92 Cougar and TBird
both came with 5.0 HO engine (engine code T in VIN#).
Haven't taken off valve cover yet to confirm, but if it is roller motor does this change everything?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ya you will want to use the balancer and flexplate that came off the motor you are using if you can. There is a chance the flexplate will work but your bronco probably has a 164 tooth and the tbird is probably a 156 tooth. So what you will need is a 164 tooth 50 oz balance flexplate. You maybe able to find one of them on a newer (late80's threw mid 90's) trucks or vans. If that don't work any place that balances motors should be able to add waight to your stock bronco flywheel. If the motor is a roller then bonus to you. Just make sure your water pump is correct rotation for the pullies you are using. If its a roller cam you just need to make sure and use a steel dizzy gear.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If your bronco has a 164 flywheel thats what you need to use with that bell housing. If you replace the 164 with a 156 the starter won't hit the teeth on the flywheel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plan on getting more info tomorrow. Have to find out what engine TBird has for sure as first step. Haven't even had time to look under hood since getting it home.
Appreciate all you answers-has been good learning experience.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a roller motor, flexplate is 50 oz balance, 11 1/2" bolt spacing.

Bronco flexplate is 164 tooth 28oz balance but my C4 torque converter has 10 1/2 bolt diameter spacing.

So I will need flexplate with 164 teeth, 50 oz balance and
10 1/2" bolt diameter spacing.

Anyone know if this came with any any original cars so I can pick one up used or will I have to have my 28oz one rebalanced?

Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You could try a late 80's F150 or van, 5.0, with a c4. A C6 flex plate may also work but I am not sure about the AOD flexplate as I know the off-set is different. Just make sure it is'nt for a 5.8 or 351w as it will be 28 ounce and you need 50
clint

1 - 10 of 10 Posts