Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently began restoring a 71 Galaxie 500. It has a 6.6 351M / 400. My uncle bought it new in December of 1970 after returning from Vietnam. He gave me the car in December of 2018 after I retired from the military. Before I got it , it sat in my uncle’s garage for 27 years. I completely forgot he had it but he remembered that I asked him for it when I was little kid.
Although he took extremely good care of it, work needed to be done. He drained all the liquids and let the air out the tires before he covered it in blankets and parked it.
I‘ve replaced the fuel lines and pump, thermostat, spark plugs, alternator, distributor, battery, solenoid and rebuilt the carburetor. The car still won’t start. I‘m stuck! Is there anything I may be overlooking or something I should focus on since it’s sat for so long?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nice car! Has to be 1 of 3 things. Air - Fuel - Spark.
Did you also replace the coil, and plug wires?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with Marauder, if everything else checks out I'd guess the new dizzy is the problem. Did it get replaced correctly and not off a tooth? Points set to the correct spec?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with Marauder, if everything else checks out I'd guess the new dizzy is the problem. Did it get replaced correctly and not off a tooth? Points set to the correct spec?
The points should be correct. I will check again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What happens when you dribble a little fuel down the mouth of the carb - any kicks?
I've had a few kicks but that's about it. My uncle who was a mechanic for 45 years + said it could be the vacuum but I've checked everything several times.

·
Registered
561 Posts
use a test light. ground the clip, tip on the neg post of the coil. turn the crank by hand watching the light. when near tdc, the light will come on when the points open. that is what your base timing is set to. should be near 10 degrees. if way off, pull the dist, and check for sheared drive gear role pin

·
Registered
274 Posts
use a test light. ground the clip, tip on the neg post of the coil. turn the crank by hand watching the light. when near tdc, the light will come on when the points open. that is what your base timing is set to. should be near 10 degrees. if way off, pull the dist, and check for sheared drive gear role pin
+1 Also need to make sure it's coming up to TDC on compression vs. exhaust. Both valves on cylinder 1 will be closed. For the pin, I think you can test it without taking the distributor out. Try turning the rotor by hand. If it spins without the engine turning then it's likely the pin.

Pat

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good point - it's apparently different than the usual Ford firing order:

Rotor rotation is still CCW at least and cylinder numbering is the same.

Pat

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
There are more than one usual Ford firing order, so get the right one for the 400. Confirm No. 1 cylinder at TDC compression, then check rotor position.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts