Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 Winston cup slicks. The tread holes are still pretty damned deep. The question here is, will the work like a set of drag slicks? The are Good Years. They say Stock car on them I do believe. they are 15x10x27 (right oreder of #'s??) The reason I have these is because:
a) I am cheap
b) I am broke
c) I am in college, and all my money went to the new rear end
d) I got them for free, and have an unlimited supply of them I believe. (I have a good friend that works at a tire yard)

Will they work? How well compared to a drag slick?

Thanks a lot!!

Jeff Given

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I see them advertised/sold/auctioned off all the time on eBay. The guy selling them says they'll work as good as drag slicks, but personally, if I wanted to purchase some drag slicks, I'd purchase DRAG SLICKS.
My .002 (again, knowing you're trying to save a buck or two), try 'em, what have ya got to lose???????? (although safety might be a factor here?)

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
I knew a guy who used to run them. The compound seems incredibly hard by "drag tire" standards, and the sidewall in immensely stiff. They don't work that well for drag racing, but would probably be better than a regular street tire... maybe similar to a drag radial in performance.

They are compounded to work well at elevated temperatures, so one HELLUVA' burnout is in order!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
On 2002-01-21 08:02, n2omike wrote:
I knew a guy who used to run them. The compound seems incredibly hard by "drag tire" standards, and the sidewall in immensely stiff. They don't work that well for drag racing, but would probably be better than a regular street tire... maybe similar to a drag radial in performance.

They are compounded to work well at elevated temperatures, so one HELLUVA' burnout is in order!

Good Luck!

Yeh, what he said.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DOUGH!!
Well, shoot. Now I think I gotta plan something else. I guess I can take them to the strip next time I go, and if they dont work well, change back to the radials? Ohh well...Thanks a lot guys.

Jeff Given

·
Registered
698 Posts
Jeff, go ahead and try them. Any tire which you can leave your fingernail imprint in is plenty soft enough for your use.

Just remember that Winston cup tires ahve different compounds and size for left vs right.

I once had a set of vintage, ie old, hard, old school... drag slicks about 7-8" which hooked up pretty well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts