Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lightining has hoosier slicks on it 28x20.5x16. The engine has a 4lb blower pulley and a cold air intake with a tune for the extra boost. On the hankook ventus tires (2.2 60ft) the truck runs a 14.0 at 103 mph (granted this is el paso, 4000ft kills about .7 on ET). So my wife slapped some slick on the truck and then runs a whopping 13.8??? Its pretty dissapointing to see that after spending all of that money. Tire pressure the first night started at 20, and dropped down to 16. There is no tire spin. It was also taken as high as 26 to see if there was any resistance at the end of the strip causing the truck to slow down and lose et. Still runs the same. Most guys with this and a bigger cooler are running high 12's(mid 13's in el paso). Anybody have an suggestions on where to start trouble shooting, and what miht be going on? Not sure what the 60ft is here as the strip is too cheap to print out time slips. One other thing I can think of is the clocks are sometimes jacked up and give wrong times. Lastly my wife did huge burnouts that lasted a long time. Will the slick reach a point where they bedcome slippery instead of sticky with too much heat?

1969 Mustang Mach 1 4spd 351W, (temp)302
1997 Cobra RIP 4V Motor
1970 Dodge Charger R/T 440+6 4spd
2002 SVT Lightning, K&N, Trac bars, 555Rs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 19mach69 on 10/1/06 8:23pm ]</font>

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
On 2006-10-01 05:17, 19mach69 wrote:
There is no tire spin.
Then the slicks are doing their job. You need to work on making the truck launch harder and make more power as it goes down the track.

You might urge your wife to take it easy and not heat soak the engine too much before a pass. Cooler is better.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Mike is onto something. Mine is a complete turd if I let it idle for a length of time before a pass. Bad part is that I HATE beating on a cold engine. It just isn't good for them. Also, I've never been a fan of the HOT air intakes....the stock airbox has always worked best (at least for me). I fell for a JLP cold air intake (got it from a friend in a trade) and noticed no ET improvement at all. A/F stayed the same, and in fact, the only thing that changed was the sound. I put the stock airbox back on and haven't looked back. The rest of the truck is stock, no pullies, tunes, or anything.

The long burnouts usually put heat in the motor, in the intercooler, and worst of all, under the hood. Then the blower's just sucking in hot air, the intercooler isn't cooling it very well, and ETs and MPH fall off. I never ran slicks on mine but a friend (his is an '02) has run the same tires you are running and he just dry hops and they're ready. Ran a best of 10.89 in the 1000' on a STOCK engine (no pullies, tune, CAI, nothing...bone stock save for the back tires). It was cold outside though...somewhere around 45 degrees F, truck was cold (been sitting most of the day) and the track was flat hooking.

I also picked up a noticeable seat-of-the pants increase in HP and torque by cleaning the IC. Mine's only got about 60,000 miles on it but the IC was so oil soaked that I don't see how it ran as well as it did. Took it out, cleaned it, changed plugs & fuel filter and it was a different truck. Idled better, more top end power, more torque and better response.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mavman on 10/2/06 8:24am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah she did hot lap it, but even when its cool it doesnt do much better. My wife just installed a Steigmyer ported eaton, throttle body and some other junk. It does have slapper bars set right before the eyes flush with the rear leaf springs. From videos I've seen now the truck launchers a lot harder. Combos that work at 200ft and below don't always work at 4000ft so all of the parts may be good for al ower altitude, but the engine doesn't make enough power for the slicks to be worthwhile. She also cleaned out the IC while she did the swap. We shall see how it goes this weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts