Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fired up the engine today after trying to fix the slight oil leaks I had from the break-in.

At the low RPMs - around 800-900, I hear a slight knocking behind the distributer but in front of the carb...maybe I just wasn't hearing it right...

I have hydraulic lifters...should I loosen those and re-tighten using the original procedures to set them?

any other suggestions?

thanks all and Happy New Year!

George

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
You should verify the knock first, use an engine stephescope, or just a 2 foot long wooden 1x3 and put it on the spot you think is making the noise, and the other end to your ear. ( Really) Put your hand over the end, then your ear on your hand. Verify this, or you will never know if you fixed it. Check both sides of the engine, and I promise you will narrow down exactly where the problem is.

Using a mechanical fuel pump...? Maybe your problem too....

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
No you should not hear any knocking, even from the fuel pump. But, it is a device that is dependant on engine RPM, that can create a sound inside the timing chain cover. Fuel pump is a very remote chance of being the issue.

If you do end up taking the engine partially apart....(valve covers off) check the push rods to see if they are bent. Lay them on a flat surface and roll them, they should not wobble. You did use new push rods...right?

What procedure did you follow to install the rocker arms? Are they aftermarket rockers? Adjustable with screw in studs? Check and make sure the studs are installed correctly and are tight too....

For Hyd with screw in studs, usually you tighten the nut till the pushrod does not roll in your fingers, then tighen the nut 3/4 of a turn tighter.

Also, you must rotate the engine to make sure the cam is not trying to lift the valve on the nuts you are working with. Maybe all basic stuff, but it is easy enough to make a mistake here and there....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have after market roller rockers. with a 1.6 ratio. and did get new push rods....but when I was measuring to determine the proper push rod lenght, I did it with an empty lifter. That's been in the back of my mind. I followed the process in my small ford engine re-build book...but this is my first build so I've have made many mistakes...

Now that I've run the engine, I'll check for proper lenght and loosen and redo the valves...using the proper process....hope to do that today...

thanks

g

1 - 6 of 6 Posts