Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a "low buck" '69 falcon drag car. It has a 302: unknown cam, stock heads, performer intake, holley 600, and headers. C4: shift kit, stock converter, 8" rear: mini spool, 4.11, I installed drag shocks, new leaf springs, ssm lift bars, 26x8 m/t et drags on 15x6.5 steel cop car wheels. I also removed as much weight as possible. Last weekend I turned a 14.42 with a 1.97 60" time. I would like to sort out the chassis before adding a more radical drivetrain. I plan on installing subframe connectors, but am I on the right track? For my ET is this a good 60' time?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Yes I would say this is a good 60 ft time.Its the same as my personal best and I'm running consistant 13.70s,especially with your stock converter,I have a 4-speed and am launching at 3500-4000rpm.What are your eighth mile and trap speeds?

·
Registered
57 Posts
my guess is that you aren't going to improve too much on those 60fts until you loosen that converter. Even with a stock cam, i would imagine that you would benefit from a thousand more revs or so to 'shock' the tires with. Given that you would only need a mild converter, you probably could pick one up very inexpensively.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It may have an aftermarket converter in it. The drivetrain was in the car when I bought it. I can hold (launch) the car at about 1,000 rpm on the line. What is the stall rating for a stock converter (v8-c4)? BTW the car feels like it launches nice (no tire spin). I run 15 psi in the slicks.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I have looked at lots of time slips and there are a couple of close guestimation factors that I use that seem to work fairly well(most of the time). These apply to cars that are running full power for the length of the race course. Things like hitting NOS buttons down track, getting out of it early, tire spin, over/under geared or over/under tired or running delay boxes would muck up the numbers.

Multiply your 60 foot by 6.9 and thats close to what your quarter should be. For analyzing 8th/quarter mile I use this formula. Quarter mile time = 8th mile time + 1/2 8th mile time + CONSTANT. For CONSTANT plug in .8 for 18 sec or more, .7 for 16-17, .6 for 14-15, .5 for 12-13, .4 for 10-11.

I haven't honed the accuracy down on the constants to a razor's edge but I probably could if I had a large enough sample of time slips. Constant would probably be better calculated off 60 foot time I think.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Kinda hard to figure that out. Last year with a 302/c4 my 60' times were usually 1.45-1.50, and this year with 393/powerglide and turning nearly a second quicker in the 1/8 and 1000' (never been down the full 1/4), it's still in the mid 1.4's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
WELL that rpm sound like a stock convertor to me mine is 1000 above stock and usaully holds till 2500 rpm with my 351W and C-4 combo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts