Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After winning "top 40" in the May Wildwood, NJ, weekend show for old cars, I entered my first carshow with a big ego. Hey, new motor, new upholstry, just hand me my trophy, please, so I can get home and have a brewski.

Well, I got smacked, bigtime.

Not a big show (too freakin' hot), and a lot of trophies given out by "supporting donors", and I won squat, diddley, nada, zippo, nothing.

Knocked me down a peg or four.

Oh, well, it is a 215,000 mile car with a 1980 paint job. What did I expect?

Maybe next time?

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
Even cars like mine have gotten plaques looking just as it is, so guess it's all in who is lookin or something. I never have entered a show to win anything, I do it to contribute to the cause that the show is for and more so, just to hang out for the day with like minded people and something to do besides sit at home and i have good parking if i'm planning on going anyway. With my car i can't be saying i'm going there for a plaque or trophy anyway. lol I'm usually at a show most of the day gabbing with different people, it's my big social outings of sorts. lol

Maybe you'll get that prize at the next one!

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Well said Chero, I judge for a small car club in my area and there is a lot of guys with that attitude and some sulk like little kids when they go home empty handed. I'm not saying jerry is like that, I'm SURE he's not, lesson learned. Shotrod has the right attitude. Our car club is strickly for charity and we have been complimented more than once about how fair we judge. There are a lot of shows that the judges are pretty biased, mostly against Fords.
We had a car show the last of May and our club presidents neighbor and his wife with an MG did not win a trophy. The woman was really upset and 'cried' about them cutting short their vacation in South Carolina just to come to this car show and they should have won a trophy :bs: The cause was for an old folks home and the trophies were about 10" high and there were a lot of nice cars there. Get a life, lady!
Shotrod is spot on...go to a car show for the 'cause' and company :).
Just a tip, jerrym, find out who won the trophies and compare their cars with yours, maybe you can pick up some tips. I judge engines and interiors and there are a lot of cars that get a low score because of the engine compartment. This includes the radiator, under the hood, firewall, etc. Good Luck!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ide rather not get a trophy, i hate people looking at me unless its a hot chick.

Although, getting a trophy makes my 3 year old son happy, he will hold it the whole ride home. That makes it all worth it.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
We like going to cruise nights, Because they are a lot more laid back. It is all about having a good time and enjoying you car. We have a stack of trophies, but only a couple of them really mean anything to us. Anymore we only do a couple of shows a year and like was said above it is to support a good cause and meet friends. The guy that walks clear across the parking lot to look and complement the old Ford means a lot more to me. Judging a car show is a hard job and no two people see things the same way, Remember beauty is in the eye of the Buttholder.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well said Chero, I judge for a small car club in my area and there is a lot of guys with that attitude and some sulk like little kids when they go home empty handed. I'm not saying jerry is like that, I'm SURE he's not, lesson learned. Shotrod has the right attitude. Our car club is strickly for charity and we have been complimented more than once about how fair we judge. There are a lot of shows that the judges are pretty biased, mostly against Fords.
We had a car show the last of May and our club presidents neighbor and his wife with an MG did not win a trophy. The woman was really upset and 'cried' about them cutting short their vacation in South Carolina just to come to this car show and they should have won a trophy :bs: The cause was for an old folks home and the trophies were about 10" high and there were a lot of nice cars there. Get a life, lady!
Shotrod is spot on...go to a car show for the 'cause' and company :).
Just a tip, jerrym, find out who won the trophies and compare their cars with yours, maybe you can pick up some tips. I judge engines and interiors and there are a lot of cars that get a low score because of the engine compartment. This includes the radiator, under the hood, firewall, etc. Good Luck!

First, you should consider if someone is jerking around or serious before jumping to conclusions.

Second, I've been taking this car that I've owned for 43 years, to shows since the early 80's with a $350 paint job, ugly motor, 500XL buckets with Galaxie 500 rear painted bench seats and side panels, torn dashboard cover, worn chrome, and a puffing motor. That's a ton of shows and cruise nights over all those years, so I'm not in it for the trophies.

Have I cleared that up, Chero 5.0?

But, the car got to the point that it needed to be spruced up, so I put in a new motor and bought new seatcovers replacing worn out 500XL seatcovers that I got from a junkyard over 20 years ago.

But, she still will never place anywhere near the top in her class, not with 200,000 mile chipped paint, worn chrome, and an engine compartment that will never be spotless no matter what.

But, everyone likes a bit of recognition from their peers.

When a show gives out a number of local business donated trophies, not just to class winners, but to a number of cars for recognition, and a new Camaro or Mustang gets recognized that someone just bought last week and went through a great deal of time and effort with a garden hose to get the car ready for the show, what does that tell you?

Oh, yeah, a new Ferrari got recognized also.

Anyway, with 215,000 miles, my car's not being spruced up anymore. We're both too old (turning 70 next January).

I'll keep her running, and (hopefully) we'll both see a few more years of shows.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
JerryM3,
We all get put in our place. Most of the cars you see at a car show couldn't make it to the state line much less go on a 3000 mile trip. A side benifit to a car show is a trophy. Anyone that says it's not a side benefit is lying to you because no one makes you register your car. If you don't want to get a trophy then make a donation and tell them you don't want it judged. I just go there for the comradery is a sellout unless you don't register to be judged.
After saying that and making everyone mad I'll say something else about car shows. Most of them are stacked against you if you drive a Ford. I just got back from a great car show that had 325 cars. The class I was in was Fords 1949-1979. That's it. There were Tri-5 Chevy classes, Chevelle classes, Nova classes, Corvette Classes etc. It didn't matter if you had a Mustang, Galaxie, Thunderbird or Fairlane. Fords 1949-1979. Any Fords newer than 1979 got put in a class called Other 1979-1999 or Other 1999-present. I don't go to a car show for the trophy, I go for the comradery of my friends and to see the rest of the cars. But, while I'm there I guess I'll go ahead and register, never mind I spent two hours cleaning it up, it's just to give to the cause. Jim

·
Registered
390 Posts
For me I like point judging. I only go to shows that have different class and have it broke down in 10 years like 60 to 70 and so on. I like getting awards, but with points it show you how well you build the car. It allso makes you work harder to get more points. I do not go to people joice shows are show without classes break down. All the point judges I met, do not care what make the car is, just how it looks Around here there are a hundred points to be made,plus another 30 on engines, interior and paint. When I build a car, I build it for the hundred points and hope for the 30. I have not got the hundred yet, but close and I will continue to work for it.

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
Only time i came close(and not very close) to being disappointed was last halloween. I made almost everything for the car, no store bought monsters etc, dumped vacuum cleaner dirt all over the car then spider webs to look like an ol wreck. Didn't get nothing but I had fun doing it. Then it ended up being one of the few cars on their website. Plus the shows they have there are always for a charity or cause of some kind. Guess it wasn't a creativity competition. lol Already have ideas for this year! The dent actually comes in real handy for halloween ideas!

I still have blood stains running down the door from last year so don't be putting that fake blood on a light color or good paint job, it will stay. :)

As for engine cleanliness, mine is filthy and some of my paint is coming off after all these years. I just showed the engine to the guy that organizes the cruise on Wed here, he'd never seen it. He says you should get some degreaser or something to spray on there then just gently rinse it off so that way it doesn't take the paint with it. He is one of the "real" people that a little oil and imperfections don't bother. I actually like seeing those imperfect cars more so now. Only because i'm getting to feel like the nice ones are looking all the same but in different colors.

Next one Jerry you might have people that appreciate an old ford more. There isn't a lot of them at the shows so has to be the right people to see it for what it is. :)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I never go to a show looking for an award or trophy. If by chance I get one it makes a good day a better day. But in my opinion if you build a car to win trophies or awards or to make money when you sell it you built it for the wrong reasons. I build mine to drive and enjoy. The best thing about a car show are the people.

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
I never go to a show looking for an award or trophy. If by chance I get one it makes a good day a better day. But in my opinion if you build a car to win trophies or awards or to make money when you sell it you built it for the wrong reasons. I build mine to drive and enjoy. The best thing about a car show are the people.
Totally agree!

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
I read it for what it was and I liked the post and saw no real complaining, just a statement.

Jerry a 69 year old man took his 47 year old Girlfriend to the park and nobody noticed... That's not complaining if you look at the rest of the guy's there in their 60's with 15 to 20 year old girlfriends! Some even as young as less than a year old! I think Jer did it with class ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went to my first car show a couple of weekends ago. Didn't win anything but I had a lot of fun and got to represent rancheros.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You pretty much nailed it.

I didn't spruce mine up over 43 years just to win trophies, but I'm not going to BS anybody either. Getting a bit of formal recognition tells me that the time and effort I put into the motor and interior over the past two years, and all the other work done over the past four decades, including a Galaxie 500 to a 500XL cloning, has been noticed.

But, as I said, even with all the work I've done to this car over the years, I might score third if there were only four cars in my class. Five cars? No chance.

It's tough going up against 60's Mustangs, Stingrays, GTOs, 442's, 413 Wedge Plymouths, etc.

The car gets a lot of positive comments, mostly from people who had one or knew someone that did, but, it doesn't get Impala or Mustang type attention.

No matter. I'll be going to a show almost every weekend this summer, and on the Wildwood boardwalk for the September carshow.

That's why I've kept her, for me and others to enjoy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
While mine was under construction, (as a kid mostly) i liked to go to shows that had project sections and were strictly 1972 and older, needless to say one year I went to one in a small town in illinois, I got there and there was two other cars in my class(one trophy per class) one was an old rustbucket truck with a new motor, the other was a chevy nova, that was in the same boat as the truck, needless to say mine had the interior done, engine done and was much more rare than the other two(not to mention rust free and in new primer) needless to say the other two were from the area and the nova somehow won a trophy even though a lot more people payed attention to mine, needless to say I learned a little town will more than likely choose their own patrons over an outsider as well....food for thought!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts