Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

small block roller cam conversion?

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  DoubleK 
#1 ·
I am considering running a roller cam in my 1982 351 block..After doing a little browsing I think I may have this figured out but I may be missing something.......................To convert to a roller cam in a non roller block I need
1-special smaller diameter camshaft that can be used with stock type roller lifters and hold downs
2-Or a normal type camshaft with shorter than stock roller lifters that are linked together........
In the first case the camshaft is the major expense and in the second case its the lifters...
Does this sound right and any advantage to either setup?

#2 ·
reduced base circles in my opinion are junk. Besides the VERY limited selection, the horrible valvetrain harmonics associated with them. I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to run a reduced base circle cam.

#4 ·
On 2006-11-26 19:49, pbrown wrote:
Get the standard roller cam with a set of link bar lifters. Yes the lifters are pricey but this is the best way to do it.
Yep-correct. The standard roller cam will not deflect as much as a reduced circle one plus there is a much wider selection available. Link lifters are the only "good" way to do the job. Everything else is half a$$ed unless you start with a modern E4 roller block.

Also, it seems that the Crane conversion link lifters are the only ones with the oil holes in the proper location. Other brands will need modded to have proper lubrication to the top end.

It is only money . . . . . .

#6 ·
You can also run a solid roller lifter setup. They are a little cheaper than the hydraulic retrofit conversion, but you have to keep them lashed properly.

If you want to use a reduced base circle cam, I have a set of factory lifters, dog bones, and a spider you could have for the $40 I paid for them. (plus shipping) You will have to drill and tap 2 holes in the lifter valley to receive the spider. It can be done but a regular cam with aftermarket lifters is the preferred method.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.