Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 347/C4 in my car right now. I am dropping in a 460 in a few weeks. My question is this, could I keep my current trans, or do I need to get a new one? If I do need to get a new one, most likely a C6, what other items do I need to swap?

Also, I am having a Mustang II suspension installed, but if I don't, will I run into any problems with the stock suspension? Like motor mounts or header clearence? I also heard some people have problems with the water pump fitting in 460's and 68 Fairlanes? Is this true? Sorry for all the questions, I want to get everything right the first time.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
You can keep the C4 if you want. There are 2 bellhousings available that I know about that mate the C4 to the 429/460. One is a Ford and it uses the 164 tooth flywheel and pan fill tranny. Or the JW ultra bell that is pump mounted and will work on either case with the 164 tooth flywheel. I paid $232 for my JW bellhousing.

96 Ford F350 PSD CC DRW
97 Ford Taurus
64 Fairlaine 500 rust bucket/future Tbolt clone with 514 BBF

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Strokin on 10/16/02 2:27am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
On 2002-10-15 14:26, Just Strokin wrote:
Or the JW ultra bell that is pump mounted and will work on either case with the 164 tooth flywheel. I paid $232 for my JW bellhousing.

96 Ford F350 PSD CC DRW
97 Ford Taurus
64 Fairlaine 500 rust bucket/future Tbolt clone with 514 BBF

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Strokin on 10/16/02 2:27am ]</font>
I agree the JW UltraBell is a awesome piece!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Rod, you could really get by with just a stocker bell for your car.

I think your gonna need at least two or three block plates to make it work though?

I don't know your ET goals for the car but,if you think it's someday gonna be a "fast azz mutha" that stocker bell won't pass tech inspect.

The JW Ultra Bell needs no extra spacers and really is compact in its design to give maxium room in the trans area.

It also is SFI rated and is VERY STRONG so you would have to worry about it.

I run one on the C-4 in the Falcon.

Don't think they make a Ultra Bell for a C-6 though? ............Only C-4?

65 Falcon Sprint "PREDATOR 557"
66 Galaxie 500-XL472 PI 4-speed "XL-ERATOR"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 10/16/02 2:34pm ]</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts