Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as most of u know I got my cleveland put into my mustang and got it running good. There is a slight problem that I was woundering about.
When I am stoped at the light turns green, I hit the gas to get up to speed (not racing), just normal driving. The car sputters until the car is going about 15-20, then everything is fine and stong. I am thinking that it is my single plane manifold...? The car is warm, but it is cold out side (about freezing). Could swithching the dual plane ( thebecause only one is made for the cleveland) help this problem?
The motor makes probably around 370 HP. It has a heavy duty c-4.
The other thing that we came up with is the torque converter. we just put the regular stall speed one in it. Should we have gotten a high stall? I am thinking that with this converter that it kicks in before the engine has time to get the RPS'm up, there fore the sputtering and clunking. If you think this is out prob, then what stall should we get??
Thanks for any input.
Matt

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Matt, When I had a pretty much stock 4v (and even 2v) the damned thing seemed to have fell on its face too. I had a 750 DP, Single plane manifold, and 3" exhaust and stock stall. But I would THINK that is your problem. Now with more cam, and more compression, AND MORE STALL, there is little or slight hesitation, that I hear will be gone with a double pumper, and tuned right...but I think it is the manifold.

Jeff Given

·
Registered
359 Posts
what kind of gear ratio are you running in that thing, because with the single plain unless you have low gears it will suck off the line( low mean high numeric ratio)

that is probally what is wrong

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
The single plane manifold and the stall could make the car a little dead or hesitant down low .If the engine is spluttering then i think you may have a carb tuning issue that needs addressing.Start of with the accelerator pump adjustment ...

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I'd start with the carb too. Look down the throat and make sure that it's getting an adequate acc. pump shot. As soon as you move the throttle, it should be squirting fuel. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts