Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, 390 is coming out of my 64 Gal today to fix a leaking rear main seal and I'm doing some other odds and ends.

My MadDog headers touch right against my OE starter. After a year and all the heat the starter still works good, I'm surprised. I do plan on wrapping my headers while I have the engine out. The fit is so tight you can't get a heat shield blanket thing between the header and starter, I suppose a hammer could fix that.

But, I'd rather get a smaller physical size starter. I've searched, see prices from $190 ish to ridiculous $$$...

Anyone have a recommendation for a smaller size starter. The 390 is built 10.5:1 compression, I drive her a lot...

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
10,461 Posts
I don't have my finger on one, but the folks to check out are DB Electrical. They know it all, have it all, are reliable, and have very good prices. Weird stuff too.

As far as exhaust wrap. It works, but is hard on header tubing. It promotes crystallization in the metal and intergranular corrosion. Some guys go years with it, and other trash the headers in months. I would use it sparingly, or shield when possible rather than wrap.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.