Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've got a 1966 Ford LTD 390. The things been rebuilt a few times already. The motor has been smoking really bad lately. Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
924 Posts
If you are lucky it could be the umbrella seals on the valves gone bad. My brother in law took a chance and bought a recently rebuilt 302 cheap because it was smoking, quick look under the valve cover and it was obviously bad valve seals. Replaced them and was all good.
Mike

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
+1. Only basic diagnostics (vacuum testing, visual checks, compression check, leak-down testing) will give you reliable answers. Anybody can guess. Guessing is both inefficient and expensive, so test for real answers.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grey smoke, my grandfather owned it before me, brand new plugs & wires

I'll have to check the umbrella seals

·
Registered
79 Posts
Guys, my '65 352 with cruise o matic was smoking on start up. It kept getting worse. Had the vaccum modulator on the transmission replaced and no more smoke.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Guys, my '65 352 with cruise o matic was smoking on start up. It kept getting worse. Had the vaccum modulator on the transmission replaced and no more smoke.
have seen that before too, on my dads f150. pull the vacuum line off down low, at the modulator, if oil runs out of the line, its shot... when his went it was smoking a bit on his way to work, when he came home it looked like a smokebomb, fouled out a couple plugs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gotta charge my battery. Someone leftsomething on and the battery drained. I'll get back in touvh with you guys as soon as it's ready to start.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Does it have a lot of blow by vapors? Check for a bad PVC valve also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts