·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a new snowblower.

I want a 2-stage medium duty unit.

I think about 5-7 hp. would be good.

What brand is the best for the money?

I get a rebate from Simplicity if I buy one of theirs,but its only about $70.

I think Ill take a ride up to the dealer now and look around,all I know is Im not fricken shovlin this year dude!

What are you guys using?

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
What's a snow-blower?

JL

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I use a HAHN ECLIPES 5/24.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64 TBOLT on 12/29/01 8:36am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I use one of the little toro snow throwers. It may not be big but it gets the job done. I bought it used 3 years ago thinking I'll get a bigger one next year. Paid $100 used and it starts like a champ every time. It won't do 3 feet of snow but it throws 1' without a problem. Besides I can pick it up and put it on the deck and other places I couldn't get a regular snowblower. Trust me it works. I'm at the 4' of snow mark by morning and the weather man is talking about 8"+ a day for the next 2 weeks.
It also hangs from the garage wall, which is something a full sizer won't do.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like about $1000 will get me a nice unit.

I saw a Toro,Simplicity and a Eriens tonight,I also want to check out a Deere before I buy.

I saw the Deeres on thier website and they are in the same price range as the other ones I saw today.

I know the smaller single stage ones work well,my sisters all have Toro single stage throwers and they like them alot.

The single stage ones were about $700 for a nice one.

I will stop at a few more places to check out some more.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Don't get me wrong, if I had the money I'd buy a big boy. Check the saw and small motor shops for used ones. Like I said I paid $100 for mine and it looks and runs like its new. I guess it really depends on what you need.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I've got a 12 year old Toro. Only a little 5 hp model, I believe it's got the ?Tecumseh motor instead of the Briggs, but works great. I don't have much of a driveway, (and didn't at the previous house either).
I figured purchasing that instead of the constant trips to the chiropractor, (and subsequent loss of work from back pain), more than paid for the snowblower. Starts right up every year. I always put some 114 (octane), racing gas in it just for the smell..

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I use an Ashley. It's 6 years old and doesnt do that good of a job if it's alot of snow, but at least she tries. Pretty cheap to operate, just feed her hot coco. I usually have to do the rest by hand but that's ok.

Rick

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have a older Toro also.

I buy a few of them over the summer months, get them running and sell all of them exept for the one I want to keep over winter!

This year I have the deluxe Electric Start Model!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Last year I bought a White 28" with a 8hp engine. It works very well. One thing I liked about it and I feel is a must have is the remote chute control.....you can adjust the angle of the chute with a lever on the "dash". Apparently a lot of snowblowers are made by the same company and sold under different brand names so if you find some that look the same that may be why. Apparently the White is a better one....better welds etc as opposed to others that are essentially the same. I looked at a Honda with track....sorta the ultimate snowblower but I sure wasnt willing to spend $2500 on it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Snowblower, that sounds like work. I have a FORD 1910 4x4 diesel tractor with a front end loader. Makes quick work of the driveway, and my neighbors driveways. They love it. Kind of my way of saying thanks to them for listening to the race car some nights. The tractor is great, I use it to pull motors and cut grass too.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Well, living out here in California, I can't give any personal recommendations on a snowblower, but I can tell you that all of the other Ariens products I've seen were high quality, and didn't require much maintenance, even when highly abused.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Broke the toro today.
Busted the handel clean off. Oh well, $15 bucks for a new one. A buddie came over with his plow and was done in 3 mins with 2 swipes. It takes me 25 mins to do my driveway. Want my req. now? Buy a FORD truck with a plow instead.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yep, I'd buy a old 4x4 with a plow. I've used snowblowers in Maine, but they seem to be toys for places that don't get any real snow. I mean the push behind by hand ones.
At least get a garden tractor with a blade or screw on the front to do any real work.

When I get back up north in a few months, one of the first things I'm buying is a plow for the front of my truck. It's sort of a requirement.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I use a 8HP 24" cut Ariens. Got it last year. Don't have a bad thing to say about it. Cost around a grand.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On 2004-02-25 00:28, Johnny Ray wrote:
On 2001-12-31 00:22, DynoTom wrote:
Thanks guys for you input,my back with thank you every time I use it this winter!
How many times have you gotten to use it so far this winter Dyno Tom?

Maybe 6-7 times only.......we never gotta snowfall over 5 inches this year yet but,the ones we did get all came within a couple weeks of each other so it piled up pretty good....I imagine I'm gonna not be using it many more times this year.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a Craftsman 24" 7 HP 4 forward 1 reverse that must be at least 9 years old. Saw a for sale ad in newsletter at old office for it for $200 3 years ago. Ad said it was in "excellent" condition. Called the guy (a retired ex worker) and went to pick it up. He said when he put a new spark plug and gas in it, since he hadn't used it for 3 years, gas ran out . I figured rotted gas lines, no problem. Then he said "Since I advertised it as excellent condition and it isn't, just take it". I offered him $100, and he said "no". Take it and enjoy. My son and I loaded it up on his pickup and waved goodbye. Problem was a rusted float. Got it for a total of $30. I call it "Little George", after it's former owner. Starts on first pull every snow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts