Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planing on building my 68 289 engine up like Project 11.99 with a bit of modifications. Im going for Speed and Power but more importantly im going for reliability! Im a Poor College Student and cant afford to swap out parts everyday. Im willing to invest in good parts if they will save me trouble later.

0)Whats the difference 1968 65a and 65b body styles, mines is a 65b.

1)How much was the C4 hurting ET's,and what are the pros and cons of a C4 VS. T5?

2)Would an X pipe and flowmasters have helped ET's?

3)Im planning on getting GT 40 aluminum heads, what are the pros and cons?

4)Higher compression pistons, and 302 crank in the 289 block.

5)How will the 17 x 8 bullit wheels affect the car?

6)I dont know squat about cams, so need your input here. I was also thinking timing gears insted of timing chain

7)Under drive pullies.

Aluminum radiation with electric fan.

I have a lot of other mods to ask questons about, but this is enough for now, i guess.

thanks alot
Kenny

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
why is a roller cam better than a flat?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Too many questions, LOL. Since this thing doesn't let you see the post as you respond I can't remember any of them.

I don't think the gear drives are worth much. Just get a double roller.

Roller cams aren't necessarily better depending on your definition of better. Many many folks out at my drag strip(including me) still run flat solid cams.

If you put a 302 crank in a 289 block you need 302 rods to go with it unless you are going to do something with the pistons.

A properly built C4 will kick butt on a manual tranny unless its a slam shift type like a Jericho or a Lenco. I guess I mis
sed something there on your lost et situation.

I can't remember the rest of your post.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My opinion: 17" wheels for your coupe would look worse than they would perform.

And the projecr 11.99 cam is a roller. Your block would cost big bucks ($800 or so) to convert. Use a solid flat your HP requirement assuming you want to push 400, would ask for about a XE282HR or higher. That's advice I took from other memebers on this board (thanks chilly and others).

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
On 2002-04-04 06:02, Hottarod wrote:
Too many questions, LOL. Since this thing doesn't let you see the post as you respond I can't remember any of them
Actually you can see the post when you respond. You can either reply by clicking "quote" in which case the text of his post will be in your post, and you can answer each question.

OR

when you are on the reply page, right under it is a text link "topic review" you click that and a window opens up with the other posts in the thread.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The 65b code stands for hardtop,luxury interior with bucket seats.How much the c-4 is hurting you depends on whats done to it,I'll assume its stock so I'll say its probably a couple of tenths slower due to the extra hp it takes to run it.Anything you can do to make the exhaust flow better is good such as the things you've mentioned.I'm not an expert on whats the best aftermarket head but the aluminium GT-40s would certainly be much better than stock.Swapping in a 302 crank and rods and high compression pistons would be good mods over a stock 289,I'd keep the compression around 10;1 for the street.The 17x8 bullets should improve the handling of your car,make sure you get the proper backspacing to make them fit.Need more info on total package for cam recommendations but I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions here.Underdrive pulleys are a easy hp but expensive for v-belt applications and an aluminium rad with an electric fan would take a little more parasitic drag off the motor,although a good thermostaticly controlled clutch fan won't cost you any hp and cools very well.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would GT 40 aluminum heads be good mods, what are the pros and cons?

I just want to say thanks for all of the help that you guys are giving me!

·
Registered
237 Posts
If i were you, i would stick with the 289 internals unless you come accross a 302 short block since budget is a factor. You should go and look at the archives and see the different stages of project 11.99 and see the different times they got and what was used to get those times. It was a stock bottom end 289 when it was breaking into the 12s. go with a double roller chain over the timing gear and also stick with a stock type radiator 3 core with an electric fan, no need to go aluminum for the type of setup your looking to build - and get a aluminum higher flowing water pump, especially if your gonna run underdrive pulleys.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was Project 11.99 Streatable with the 289, and does anyone know what type of gas milage it or a setup like it would get.
Kenny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts