Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
building a 331 stroker, 28 oz balancer, cast waterpump with lower hose on passenger side. aftermarket sfi approved balancer with timing marks on both sides. what timing cover and pointer should i use. i have a used cover from a 66 289 with pointer on driver side built into cover but doesnt seem to line up. i have another cover that requires a bolt on style pointer. what has everyone else used.
this is going into a 61 falcon

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dnhracing on 7/13/06 9:28am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I have a 71 or 72 block with the bolt on pointer on the passenger side. The water inlet is on the drivers side. I was in the same dilemia as you. when I bought the motor there was no pointer at all so I put it where it is and hoped for the best. Actually it is the only possibility with the left hand water pump. If the motor is from a E100 or E150, the pointer maybe on the bottom of the pulley. I had a 72 Van that was that way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retyler on 7/13/06 8:57pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
87 roller block, used a regular flow, drives side inlet from a Crown Victoria.
Regular flow, reverse flow, driver’s side, passenger side inlet... my head was spinning when I started to see all of the options I had to deal with.
Good luck,
Ras Daniel

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Using a pre '70 waterpump with the inlet on the passenger side does create a problem but it can be fixed. Both my cars have a passenger side inlet water pump using timing covers with the bolt on pointer that mounts to the drivers side of the cover. The pointer lines up with the current after market dampers which have several sets of timing marks for different applications. If you can find true top dead center just set it there and install one of those timing tapes on the damper aligned with the pointer. Worked for me for years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts