Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month he installs a new cam and intake in his F-150, yesterday he calls me and wants to know if he can borrow my intake puller (intake puller???...he means a pry bar I finally figured out
)...so naturally being curious I ask what he is doing. Well he says the idle on the truck is hard to deal with, a real rumpity-rump type idle (his words, not mine! )and he thinks that the guy he bought the cam from must have accidently given him one of those 3/4 race cams instead (now I don't know what the heck a "3/4 race cam" is supposed to be...and obviously neither does he
). So naturally out of curiousity I head out...and of course I thought to bring along my camera...he usually has something happen to him that is always worth a picture.
Well anyways, I arrive and check out the scene. He has already pulled off the carb, a 625cfm Edelbrock unit and I see the box for his cam, a Competition Cams 268H...so right away I begin to suspect the problem isn't in the choice of items, but in the install. So he is ready to pull off the intake so he can start the process of removing the cam...and when the intake comes off...I nearly fell on the floor!!! bent push rods all over!! I asked him about how he installed it, and his response was "just straight up"...then I inquire about the timing chain marks lining up...his response was classic..... " what marks?" At that point all I could do was take the pictures and go home...less than one month and he has now pretty much destroyed two engines in his truck...first one was lost due to no oil...I told him he seriously needs to stop trying to do his own work when he doesn't know what the heck he is doing, then I suggested he read up about the subject of engine rebuilding before he tries anything else...his response..."I don't like to read".
Now before anyone blames me for not helping him, I made the offer to help him after I came back into the country last month ,but he just couldn't wait to replace that cam...maybe he will learn this time...but I doubt it!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Humphrey351 on 10/31/06 2:27pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Humphrey351 on 10/31/06 2:27pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
Tell him he doesn't need to go overboard with the silicone on the intake either! LOL

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
You've got to boil the pushrods before installation.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I've met people like that...you did the right thing. Can't tell them nothing; they will take offense if you give them a real answer, 'cause that's not what they want to hear.

I am in awe of how they can afford the price of being so pig headed. they seem to take the art of being independent to a whole other level.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Wow, I'm amazed that it ran at all! Oh, my pat statement to anyone who tells me they're runnin' a 3/4 cam......."It would probably be faster if you had put the whole thing in there!"

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Well now that he has destroyed two motors maybe he'll listen to ya and may take some help.. Don't totaly turn away from you friend.
tim

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On 2006-10-31 08:19, pedal2themetal45 wrote:
Well now that he has destroyed two motors maybe he'll listen to ya and may take some help.. Don't totaly turn away from you friend.
tim
Nope, wouldn't do that at all....I am always there for a friend. But last night, I had to just walk away...didn't want him to be too embarassed by my laughing.
I give him an "A" for effort though, he never gives up...but he definately earns the "F-" for execution of his plans. I am hoping that two engines gone will make him decide that maybe reading isn't such a bad idea after all.

Mike

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
after reading that my ribs are hurting from laughing,that was a good read mate...
i too have a good friend that has done similar stuff and wouldnt accept any help for a long time-
but after awhile and alot of expensive mistakes ,we came to an agreement that ill do the research,[same deal,he doesnt like to read]and he now listens - was just a matter of waiting till the money ran out ,then the brain switched on.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Looking at the pictures I don't see any signs of oil or lubricant!!!..You might also want to tell him its a good idea to lube up the parts before he starts it up.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
yea it do look a little dry ............. It most likely didn't run long enough to get oil prusher..
tim

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-10-31 08:19, pedal2themetal45 wrote:
tim
Been down that exact same course way too many times. People don't listen or learn, until they decide its time. (like junkies and alkys). If he has been getting results from brute-force, "fix'n on cars" for years, it'll take something like a severely wounded wallet for him to admit defeat and take advice.

Plus, again from expereince - if you drop hints or don't wait for them to out right ask for help, then if they screw-up, they will find a way to blame you for the screwup. I'd rather help a total stranger, than a hard-headed friend. At least with the stranger you can just tell'um what you really think...with a friend you have to find a way to hold back what you really want to say and get 'er done. Either way you get no credit, except the joy of seeing it running right, finally.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Well with that lifter sitting out that engine wouldn't have had much oil pressure either....
Yep..You just can't help some people.....Nice pics says everything.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well, lets see, the #3, #4, and #7 have straight pushrods. It's not a complete loss.

We now know that a 302 will run on 3 cylinders...

Though I suppose that that pesky valve interference was a self correcting problem.

As for the person, I don't know what to tell ya.
There are a lot of people in this world that don't accept fault for wrongdoing until they run out of what they need.

Like you said, just let 'em screw up and then be there when they figure it out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts