Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 mustang with a 289 in it. What is the lift and duration for stock cam? I have world product Windsor Jr. heads, headman headers, air-gap eledbrock intake, 650 v/s holley, and t5 with 4.11's. But the heads and t5 arent in yet, the t5 goes in tomarrow. I was wondering if with this combo i will see a good amount of change if i stick with a stock cam. i Do not want to pull the engine. So stock cam ok? Also the cheap $80 cam and lifters from summit, are they any good? I know there not as good as say a 200 set of Crane, but are they decent?

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Stock cam specs duration 182/187 @.050 lift is 368/380 and 109 lobe center. The cam is the first thing you should have changed. With all the changes your makin u will only see minimal benifits. Summit camshafts are about as good as any big companies comparable camshaft. They all have a pretty wide lobe seperation on them making them good for NOS or Supercharging. I would look into something more like a PAW camshaft. A 218-224 @.050 and 110 seperation with somewhere around 460-500 lift would probley work great for you. I like the lunati Bracket Master 2 cams. I would check out one of those. I ran the 230/230 in my 289 and it kicked buddy ran 218 one and it was about the same but with way more bottom end. AND THATS ALL I GOT TO SAY ABOUT THAT.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You don't need to pull the motor to change the cam. It's about a day's work to change the cam. Just pull the radiator and front grill, (about twenty minutes), the intake and distributor (about 15 minutes), the valve covers (5 min), loosen the rocker arms (5 min), pull the pushrods and lifters (5-10 min) water pump, brackets, timing cover (about 1/2 hour), and you're at the cam. It really isn't that bad, the fun part is putting it all back together, and ending up with that one bolt in your hand, and asking yourself, "where the hell does this go?"
It's a really great feeling!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts