Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I need cam sugguestions. I have a 302 roller block and can use a hyd roller or a soild cam. For cost reasons I can not afford a soild roller set up. I would like to make power up to 7000 rpm and would like to shift at around 7200. I know that Comp cams makes a good extream energy roller that would give me the RPM's I am looking for. On the other had a good soild flat tappet cam would also work. Here is a little run down on my set up. 88 302 block 30 over with Ross xl 400 pistons. Not to sure what the compression is, but would guess around 11 to 1. I am running the Avenger heads with light porting Victor jr and a BG 750 Sport Claw 1 3/4 mac long tube headers c4 with 4500 stall 4:30 gears. All this is in a 87 Lx notch back Mustang. Any sugguestion would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
If you plan to spin to 7200, you absolutely need a solid flat tappet. The heavy roller lifter wont make it past 6500 without causing float. You also want to take advantage of the nearly 1/2 weight of a flat tappet solid lifter, compared to a oil-filled hydraulic roller.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
He doesn't want a solid roller because of the expense buying the $250 springs, $250 cam, $250 roller lifters, .080" wall chrome moly pushrods, $100 titanium retainers, and $25 10 degree locks. He is replacing the 302 with a 466 early next year and wants the most "bang" for the buck this year using nitrous. He actually has between 11.5:1 and 12:1 compression and he wants to run 10s. I think the big Extreem Energy hydraulic roller or a good solid flat tappet that will let it rev 7500RPMs BUT he has the 50oz balance flexplate and balancer so I would be a little afraid of reving it over 7000-7200RPMs myself because of that.

He's got ported Avengers with 2.02/1.60 valves, Vr Jr intake, 1 3/4" headers, Ross domed pistons(valve reliefs made for Edelbrock RPM heads), 4500 stall, C-4, BG 750dp, 4.30 gears, 26 or 28X10.5 slicks, tubular crossmember, and the big blue bottle(I think he may go up to 350HP pills), etc. He's wanting to run as fast as he can with this 302 while only changing the cam(and necessary items like springs and maybe retainers.
Wadya think???? BTW, he's a friend of mine so it has to have some power. I don't think 9s are possible but 10s should be reachable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
From pricing hyd roller setups and solid roller setups I did not notice a huge price difference... did I miss something?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
He already has a hydraulic roller setup but the guy he bought the engine from took out the good roller and put in a small one.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Solid flat. Best bang for the buck!

·
Registered
231 Posts
With an aggressive hyd roller cam, valve float start becoming a problem at just over 6000 RPM and is just about impossible to prevent above about 6600 or 6700. If he want to go over 6500 RPM he should run a solid lifter cam of some kind.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I agree with cantedvalve. Not much difference between the hyd and solid roller parts. Just got through pricing all the parts I need for my cobra engine....same price both ways, except the lifters are about $50 cheaper.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
If you want to turn over 6200 rpm, you'll need a solid lifter cam. Hydraulic rollers float their heavy lifters if spun higher than this. A solid flat tappet is your best bet. I've used nothing but solid flat tappets, and am sold. Relatively inexpensive, and VERY effective.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Another 'old schooler' piping in here. HIGHLY recommend solid flat tappets. Ran them in EVERYTHING I wanted to make good cheap horsepower in.
For street, (and not over 6500), I"d go with hydraulic, but for POWER, solid flat tappet!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts