Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not being stupid or maybe I am! A few weeks ago the car wouldn’t start and after checking battery out and found a current drain, the battery will not hold a charge and keeps going flat over night.
Not a problem new battery is easy but just checking the solenoid I have battery voltage from the battery on the left which it should be but I also have battery voltage on the right side going to starter, now starter is not engaged.
1/. Why is the starter not turning as your completing a circuit
2/ I take it this is not suppose to be live? Is a new solenoid needed
If I jump start it car runs and charges fine, is there a fault with the solenoid?
Brand new earth lead and positive lead, no amp draw

· Registered
354 Posts
Should not have voltage to starter. Hard to believe it can allow voltage through with so little amps that it doesn’t engage the starter.
check the voltage at the small posts that switch the solenoid.
or. Pull the small wires off and see if the voltage at starter goes away. If so it is likely something up stream of the solenoid. If the drain stays then I’d blame the solenoid.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I have been out to disconnect the battery terminal just in case, no voltage on that terminal now, new solenoid ordered as suspect sticky solenoid, being a mechanic you start to doubt your self, thanks for your help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts