Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already know what went wrong and was replaced, the solenoid leading to my starter. I was traveling, it first gave problems in not letting the engine shut off when I pulled up to the pump at the gas station. Then at next stop, the starter motor would not disengage. So, got it home and replaced it with an equally old one, which works today just fine.

However, have not torn apart the old unit which performed OK for a good twenty years. What goes wrong inside these simple $2 parts in which cause the above problems? The old bad one doesn't rattle when whacked around either.

Any one torn apart a bad one to find out what goes wrong inside?

Wm.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
There is a copper washer like thing on the armature that contacts the + with the winding in the starter when the starter is engaged, these will get old and sloppy and wehn the copper is all gone they will weld themselves to the metal that's left from the arc of electricity when engaging the starter...

When you pull it apart you will see what I am talking about then you manually push the armature into the engaged position.

FE

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Sorry to tell ya but new ones aren't $2 anymore.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim....

Don't know how often you went to auto swap meets or currently do, but is often hard to pass up a deal. Even though you know it isn't required today, nor may be for a few years, it still is awfully hard to go home empty handed. So you purchase the $2 item anyway.

I had a car twenty years ago that used to poop these items out twice per year, so began gathering up spares. There are a few solenoids here. Some of the new ones have a $1.99 marked on them, while a couple of the older ones have a simple $2 on them.

This is the first in a long time that I have actually installed something bought years ago. Am thrilled to finally get one of those 1/2 pound items off the shelf, and throw the old item into the trash bucket. On those shelves are also some extra (new) valves, turn signal switches, valve cover gasket, and rear axle bearings. Perhaps in next five-ten years there will be a need to install them too, but for now the used parts currently traveling with the vehicle work when required (except for the horn).

Wish I could find a swap meet with $2 horn parts.

Wm.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Wm,
I also have stuff saved from years ago for future use. You're lucky though as I can't remember where I put things but "know it's around here someplace".

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim....

The only reason that I happen to know that I have certain items is that they get shifted out of the way when looking for ? Now, what WAS I looking for? Oh, well it couldn't have been that important, for the car still runs.

Now, I know. It don't stop. Where's that brake fluid now?

Wm.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Wm I bought a $2 horn retainer ring from Auto Krafters. Oh, did you mean $2 *after* all the handling fees and the shipping?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts