Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys
Installed my solid cam and broke it in as per the usual specs... proper oil with lots of EOS, cold lash set with tolerance for my iron block, iron heads, and set the hot lash accordingly after 20 minutes of break in.
The car runs well, but I was just wondering what kinds of symptoms I will see if the cam is wiped out?? I have a few buddies that wiped new cams out, but they pretty much knew right away... then one buddies cam that went after about 100 miles.
I on the other hand have always used hyrdaulics and while the noise of the solid cam is cool
I am a bit nervous.

Anything in particluar to watch for???
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Symptoms? Increased clatter and potential loss of power. Metallic particles found in the oil filter. In extreme conditions you can see that the offending cylinder's rocker arms do not have as much lift.

I too was nervous with my solid cam installation so I made a point to check the lash frequently. I ran the valves at 50 miles and needed to adjust a couple .003 tighter (thought "Oh Crap" at first, but parts were still getting used to each other), at 100 miles all were within .001, and 500 miles all were still within .001 so I think I made it and am letting it go until the next oil change at around 2000 miles.

65' STANG, 3160 lbs

393W, 2.78 Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi
Pro Comp Heads, Vic Jr. Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 8/1/06 6:40am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I think I may have some trouble...
I have developed a pretty bad lifter tick on #2 or #3. Its VERY noticable. I have about 70 miles on it.
The car still runs great and pulls very hard and revs to 7000 with ease... but the tic is loud... damn loud.
DAMNIT.
My only miracle will be if the rocker is hitting the valve cover... I really bolted them down tight after I checked the lash this morning...
Its a pipedream I know.

Im loading the gun right now...

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Check the bolt holding the rocker down. It may be pulling out of the head....

Also, if it is going bad, and you replace it, next time you burn the cam in go with 25 to 30 minutes at 2,500 to 3,000 rpm's with a 2 minute cool down before shutting off and changing the oil.

I suggest pulling the V/C's and idling the engine and observing EVERYTHING, then investigate the noise issue.

FE

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
First quick sign is the ticking and a rocker won't stay in adjustment. But then it also could be a bent pushrod. With the higher spring pressures that go with a cam change, the pushrods might not be rated for the higher spring pressure and bend. Personally, I do the break in, change oil and filter. I use the same type of oil for the new oil, just no cam breaking additive, then drive it around for 500-1000 miles with the weaker springs. Not to many revs and just drive it. Then change oil again and stronger springs installed.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the morning, I'll check lash and then pull the rocker and check the pushrod.
I dont know if the english language has the words I want to say right now

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thordane65 on 8/1/06 1:04pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crap.
This sucks... did everything right and it still looks like it gave up the ghost on me.
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Anyone want to recommend a HYDRAULIC cam for me???

Depression is setting in now HAHA

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If I ever go to a solid cam, I will pay the extra $100 or so to get it broken in on a machine....definitely worth the money considering the hassle of a cam swap, plus the lost money you spent on the trashed cam.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
On 2006-07-31 21:18, Thordane65 wrote:

I think I may have some trouble...
I have developed a pretty bad lifter tick on #2 or #3. Its VERY noticable. I have about 70 miles on it.
The car still runs great and pulls very hard and revs to 7000 with ease... but the tic is loud... damn loud.
DAMNIT.
My only miracle will be if the rocker is hitting the valve cover... I really bolted them down tight after I checked the lash this morning...
Its a pipedream I know.

Im loading the gun right now...
Bummer.

I know you worked very hard to try to prevent premature wearout.

Give it a thorough investigation. As mentioned above, check for bent pushrods, pulled studs, valve cover interference, a broken spring from binding, and rocker arm issues. Did you select the correct pushrod length?

If you have a dial indicator, you could measure valve lift at the rocker arm of the offending cylinder vs. a know good one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Premature installation of the inner springs may be a culprit in more of these wiped cams than we know.

I have made it a habit to run a cam on the outer springs only for 100 miles or so driving easy of course.

If you consider how the breakin process works, this extended run time with the outer springs only can really give the cam a fighting chance.

Also, using solid lifters with the EDM hole in the face is awesome insurance.

Finally, 15w40 Rotella and two bottles of EOS, and a bottle of EOS thereafter with every oil change helps even more.

Sorry to hear about your dead cam, but we have all been there..... Hopefully you cought the problem before it really wasted the rest of your motor.

Greg

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys.
I pulled the VC's off and #3 exhaust is REALLY loose. Later today I'll dump the oil and check the filter, check the lift and pushrod but it looks like the cam is gone.
I did everything right (except maybe re-install the inner springs too early)... but this stuff happens. I will say it ran great and sounded nasty!
Thanks...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting turn of events.
I was about to pull the rcoker off on #3 exhaust and check the push rod and behold... the nut on the rocker was not so much loose as it was down only about half the threads of the others... So, I re-tightened it and set the lash... then I cranked the engine by hand and watched the lift in relation to the others and its seems the same
??????
The next step will be to either check compression on all cylinders or just run it and see if it clatters after a run again.
Weird to say the least.
I'll keep ya posted.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
What are you using for a locking mechanism? May need to find something better, unless of course you know the mechanic might have had a senior moment

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Are you running a roller type rocker? The center "trunion" could be installed upside down and that reduces the rocker arm nut contact. Large flat should be up.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am just using the basic rounded over nuts and not any poly locks.
I am thinking that maybe I didnt have the rocker on the push rod right and that is snapped back into place when runiniing to throw off the lash that much???
Even if the cam was going, and it may very well still be... I do not understand how that nut was so backed off.... unless I adjusted it wrong (considering there are 16 of them to do the chances are pretty good that I could have messed up).
When I turned the nut it was fairly difficult to turn so I dont see how it could back off???

Dennis:
Yes, I am. I looked at that as well and nade sure it was right and it was.
Thanks Guys!

God hates a coward so I am going check the oil and run it again and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Man, with what you are trying to do with the car, get some poly locks. They are relatively cheap and once you adjust, you may never have to again. (within reason, I check mine yearly, yet to have to change anything)

I hear you on the the fact that the nut may have enough resistance, but why chance it?

As far as the "not sitting right" it sure is possible

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: My427stang on 8/2/06 5:55am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well... looks like the cam is gone. Took it for a short drive and it clattered out of the same #3....
I'll check the nut, but at this point its a tear down.

Thanks for the tips guys.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.