Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Not the most "techy" of all car questions, but I want to make my own solid headliner for my '61 Falcon. I've got a cage now and the top bar will interfere with a stock liner, with the rods that go across. I want a solid liner.

What does it take? Where should I start?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I've thought about that myself. Now, this is just my idle mind coming up with wacky ideas, but heres how I would do it, with materials you can get at Lowes or Wal-Mart (this would be MUCH easier if you had the car on a rotisserie, but since you don't, maybe you could adapt it?) Materials -

A couple cans of Great Stuff (the expanding foam.)
A roll of plastic or a bunch of trash bags and duct tape.
A knife, and some decently rough sandpaper.
Spray adhesive, fabric/covering of choice.
If you try to do it in the car, upright, some kind of cardboard or flexible wood, preferably covered in plastic.

So cover the interior of the roof with the plastic, trying to get it to conform to the roof (maybe some low-tack spray adhesive?) so you've got plastic covering where you want the headliner.

Now the messy part: Either spray onto the flexible board if you're doing this in a right-side up car and put into position with tape to expand and conform to the shape of the roof, or just cover the plastic with the foam stuff if its on a rotiserrie.

Let it sit and have the foam expand completely, then pull the board and the plastic down, and pull the board off - on one side it will be a disgusting lump, on the other, it should be relatively well formed to your roofline, inside the plastic. Now you can shape your headliner with a knife and sandpaper, fit it back up inside the roof now that its light and foamy, and shape it. When you're done, some spray adhesive and some fabric or covering on top of the foam, some more adhesive to stick it to the roof, and you've got an insulating, form fitting headliner.

If you didn't mean that kind, please disregard this message. I can't help with fiberglass. I was just contemplating this the other day. Problem is the mess, and getting it all to expand right with the car right side up. If it were upside down, you could just fill the roof with foam and shape it in place, then pull it out to cover it.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I'm looking into making a small headliner for my pickup as well. I've got all the materials, just need to go to it now. The area I'm covering is relatively flat, very little curvature, so I'm just using 1/8" hardboard from a building supply store (kind like the pegboard you hang your tools from, but without the holes). Then go to a fabric store and you can buy actual Headliner fabric, which has a 1/8-1/4" foam backing to it, and also any spray adhesive should do the trick, although the fabric store i went to had actual Headliner adhesive. Cut the hardboard to the right shape, spray it down with adhesive and lay the fabric on it. Then flip it fabric side down, cut the fabric about 1-2" larger than the hardboard, and strip the foam off the excess, and spray adhesive around the edges overlapping onto the back of the fabric, and wrap the fabric around to the back side. Then you just gotta figure out how you want to fix it to the roof of the car... liquid nails glue it to the roof, or double stick tape, or screws directly through the headliner (the heads would show, but if you did it right it could look ok), or make some trim pieces to form a border, and let those hold it up.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the ideas. I guess it's really about experimenting with different materials. It's a way off still, but I'll report back.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Real hot rods don't need headliners.
The Morris doesn't have a headliner or carpeting and it's like driving a V8 powered trash dumpster.How's that Falcon running anyway?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
On 2006-07-31 19:36, HankyJ wrote:
Hi Guys,

Not the most "techy" of all car questions, but I want to make my own solid headliner for my '61 Falcon. I've got a cage now and the top bar will interfere with a stock liner, with the rods that go across. I want a solid liner.

What does it take? Where should I start?

Thanks.
Hank if I gat a chance real soon ill take a picture of mine and you would thing it’s like a normal head line. It is not. It’s even tucked into the front and rear rubber next to the window. You will need some materiel that you would like as a head line a seamstress jut spray adhesive and some patients. Woodward week so I will be fairly busy.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You could always ask the local body shops what they are pitching out under warranty or crash repair. Some years back I picked up a full 1-piece headliner from a Lincoln Town Car. I was looking for something with a little more sound deadening for my '67 F pickup. I was able to trim down the Lincoln piece to fit my truck and used the chrome headliner trim to hold it all in. I trimmed it in such a way that I was even able to have the factory hole for a dome light although it was turned 90 degrees. 0 cost.

Murff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts