Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone, Need some help..

Got my galaxie fired up a while ago, And when the engine goes down on idle, It shakes and rattles quite a bit, Everything is new and tight, So i think what i need are a pair of solid motor mounts, Or is that i bad thing? Do i risk to brake anything, Block or so?

Does anyone here run mounts like these, And where can i find them?

My block is from 1963, So it has the old bolt pattern, Im running mounts from the 65 now and did before also, But then there was no shaking issues like this..

Help!

·
Registered
194 Posts
What size in the motor?
When you rebuilt it or what ever work you did is there was the cam replaced? This could lead to some of the shake.
I have only heard of solid mounts used in 4cyl cars with fart cans, because they don't want to loose any precious torque( something they probably find hard to come by lol). But using solid motor mounts in a big v8 with a loppy cam, I could only see this as putting unwanted stress on the frame and possible rattle the old car to pieces. Just my 2cents.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: M3FordBoy on 8/30/06 5:15am ]</font>

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
65460, Thank you for your input, May i ask you about your mounts?
I guess it could be hard to get them of the shelf, And 460 & my 390 arent that much like when it comes to Enginemounts i guess?

But to hear about your experiences with solid mounts was great, I guess i have nothing to fear then.

Maybe i´ll have to pull mine off And get them to a shop who can reproduce them in a solid version..

The new ones that are in now i bought of ebay, And when i recieved them, There was alittle sticker on the back: "Made in India", So i guess they might be made from old tires or something..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Instead of fixing the symptom, look to fix the cause.
In other words, at idle, why does it shake and rattle ?
Sounds more like an engine idle problem .
Just a thought.

RR

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see the links aswell, And maybe i was a bit poor in my description eralier, When she´s on idle, The engine kinda "rattles" a bit to much, And i suspected that the mounts from India where of a not to good quality, And i thought about going solid instead.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
You will feel move vibes with solid mounts than stock type. As 65,I have ran solid mounts on my 68 BB Gal for years without problems. If not already stated do not run a solid trans mount if running solid motor mounts.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I ordered them through total performance but are the same as crites sells. Tell you what though,if you have a welder and some plate steel they are very simple to make. Not the best but heres what they look like.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FoMoCo on 9/3/06 5:26am ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts