Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with a cam choice. I am building a 393W with H beam rods and Stroker crank. It will be in a 3600 lb car with 2500 stall and performer RPM intake. Trick Flow heads. Holley 750. 2 1/2 inch exhaust. 100 shot of the juice. I am undecided between the Comp cams XE274H that has 230 and 236 duration and .519 and .523 lift OR Comp cams solid Roller #XR268R. It has 230 and 236 duration and .589 and .602 lift. The desktop dyno shows 50 foot pounds more torque througout the RPM range topping at 500 foot pounds and up to 515 horsepower. Do you really think it will produce that much more. The cost difference is $700. Is it worth the cost. Street strip weekend car. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
If you have the funds, go with the solid roller. That dur number is less on the solid roller because of the lash involved and the .050" duration numbers on the solid roller are at "0" lash so it is actually smaller than the other hydraulic cam even though it shows the same duration but it will produce more torque and HP than the hydraulic flat tappet and a solid flat tappet cam. It all boils down to do you want to pay $700 more for the solid roller setup. Later on if you want more performance, you can get a more aggressive solid roller cam and only need to install if it's already setup for a solid roller. If you go solid roller, get more aggressive(stronger) springs than the cam calls for so later on with a bigger cam the springs should be able to handle it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts