Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering changing my solid flat to a solid roller, What have you peoples seen in horse power gain between the chnage in cam type? Is the increase worth the cost?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I am considering changing my solid flat to a solid roller, What have you peoples seen in horse power gain between the chnage in cam type? Is the increase worth the cost?
depends on the specs .for rollers 255 at .050" and smaller , if the lift is same as flat , a little gain . thats not just Fords , other brands had the same results

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have seen much bigger gains from the roller cam.. I remember in one instance, going from a 260 at 050 flat tappet , to a 260 roller and saw an increase of 65 horsepower at the peaking speed. On mild street cams, solid to roller will show about a 20 to 25 HP increase from similar duration at 050.

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES

·
Registered
865 Posts
I forgot to mention, but the bigger the engine ( cubic inches ) usually , the bigger the gain will be. Of coarse the heads you use will become very important too

JOE SHERMAN RACING

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to mention, but the bigger the engine ( cubic inches ) usually , the bigger the gain will be. Of coarse the heads you use will become very important too

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Well its a 12:1 306 with a BIG head on it. the cam is 260 at .050 with .600 lift on a 106. I am thinking I will run simular specs but on a 108. Im on a quest for power (looking to go 10.9s on the motor) right now its ran a best of 11.10 @ 124. The motor made 470 @ 7200. I know its hard to say yes or no but any help would be great.

Joe if you think you can find HP with a cam change what do you charge for a custom cam?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I have seen much bigger gains from the roller cam.. I remember in one instance, going from a 260 at 050 flat tappet , to a 260 roller and saw an increase of 65 horsepower at the peaking speed. On mild street cams, solid to roller will show about a 20 to 25 HP increase from similar duration at 050.

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
on your mild street engines .... are those hyd. cams ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well its a 12:1 306 with a BIG head on it. the cam is 260 at .050 with .600 lift on a 106. I am thinking I will run simular specs but on a 108. Im on a quest for power (looking to go 10.9s on the motor) right now its ran a best of 11.10 @ 124. The motor made 470 @ 7200. I know its hard to say yes or no but any help would be great.

Joe if you think you can find HP with a cam change what do you charge for a custom cam?
That's pretty dang good with a flat tappet 306. How heavy is the car? I'm guessing 2700 -2800 pounds with driver.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It sounds like it needs help in 60'. It has the power to go 10.90's or even faster. More power will help mph more than et if you don't improve the first couple interavals.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Buy the way, that solid lift flat tappet cam your running didin't have specs something like this did it?

Advertised Duration
Int. 286 - Exh. 298
.050 Duration
Int. 260 - Exh. 268

LSA

ICL

Lobe lift
Int. .385 Exh .388

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
my old 306 been 10.90s with a set of iron roush 200 and a flat tappet cam. i was at 3100 pounds with drive, street dot and mufflers . btw my converter was tight

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
As far as the extra cost goes, it all depends on where you are. How much can you justify spending per horsepower at this point?

I believe that the rollers, given the same basic grind spec's will not necessarily make any more power. What my understanding that they do is give you power over a bit wider rpm range. That is definitely valuable. The other thing the roller will do is get you back power that would be lost from drag and friction of the flat tappet cams. On the other hand, the roller lifters are a little heavier so that is a negative factor on the roller side.

I don't remember ever seeing identical flat tappet and roller grinds compared on the same engine on a dyno. It would be interesting to see that done.

·
Registered
622 Posts
As far as the extra cost goes, it all depends on where you are. How much can you justify spending per horsepower at this point?

I believe that the rollers, given the same basic grind spec's will not necessarily make any more power. What my understanding that they do is give you power over a bit wider rpm range. That is definitely valuable. The other thing the roller will do is get you back power that would be lost from drag and friction of the flat tappet cams. On the other hand, the roller lifters are a little heavier so that is a negative factor on the roller side.

I don't remember ever seeing identical flat tappet and roller grinds compared on the same engine on a dyno. It would be interesting to see that done.
The more aggressive cam lobes and higher spring pressure/valve train stability easily trumps the flat tappet cams lighter lifter advantage. Not only that, since the roller cams have much more aggressive ramp profiles, you can run a cam with larger duration @.05 and still have less advertised duration. Larger cam without the drawback.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Would that allow a more radical cam to behave better on the idle? That is something I need for my baby motor.
I guess it will have to wait until the next tear down if I decide to do something like this. I just had
my heads re-done and new springs installed a few months back.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Just changed out a 270hr Comp to a 260hr....All round better power band for what I needed and although the 270hr was a bit big do to gearing etc...it was a fantastic unit..I would even say a good idle....not smooth ..but not rough

Greg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts